Help, My 3 yr old refuses to pay attention and doesnt know any colors...

She just turned 3 in March and im losing patience.. I thought she was color blind till I realized she picks out all the color veggies from any food she eats..

MaddyAndLanie

Asked by MaddyAndLanie at 3:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• what exactly are you trying to get her to pay attention to?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• She still might be color blind. You can see some colors but not tell them apart properly. Some people don't know they are color-blind until adolescence or adulthood. You could get her tested but honestly, it's probably best to lay off. Maybe she senses your frustration and doesn't want to deal with that right now.
    MamaZoya

Answer by MamaZoya at 3:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Does she watch a lot of TV? Sometimes that can lead to poor concentration skills.
    Anonymous

• To pay attention to me when i show her flash cards and tell her the color. I think she does sence my frustrtion so maybe i should lay off. I was going to just try a color a week.
    MaddyAndLanie

Answer by MaddyAndLanie at 3:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Teach her a fun way. Eat M&Ms with her. Name each color as she eats it. She'll do it too. Make it fun. In the store say "I spy something yellow" Have her look for something yellow. Don't do strict formal lessons. Point out colors as you play.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I do the M & M thing and she imitates me and asked me MOMMA WHAT COLOR IS THIS... lol
    MaddyAndLanie

Answer by MaddyAndLanie at 3:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Give her time---don't push her. When she wants to,she will learn. She is only 3. ;-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• At least she is showing interest by asking what color the m&m is! I know most 3 year old kids want nothing to do with flashcards. They can barely sit still for 2 minutes let alone concentrate on someone that is sooo boring! The fact that your child picks out color of vegetables means that she understands. She is still young and who knows maybe she will become interested all of a sudden soon. I would say every time you play with her talk about the color of things and don't force it on her. She will learn better if it is play to her.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 3:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• There isn't any need to push this onto her. She's only three years old and if she doesn't have any interest then she doesn't have any interest. The way you can sneak it in is instead of saying "June, what color is this?" over and over again, is by mentioning the colors throughout the day. Just say "June, do you see the red truck?" "June, do you see the black beatle?" She may very well know her colors, but children tend to stray away from things that are forced upon them. Picking up toys, for example, not a lot of children do this when they're being forced to do it. I know it is frustrating when they don't seem to be interested, but she's only three years old. Give her a break and come back to it. Maybe she'll gain some interest once the preassure is off.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Thanks ladies.. Stressing my self out argh.
    MaddyAndLanie

Answer by MaddyAndLanie at 3:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2010