$2.00 an hour?

Just curious do you think this is fair pay for a 14 yr old boy for helping my husband out,this is my son. I feel its too low but husband wont budge on raising this poor pathetic wage. My son wants to earn money this summer but doesn't want to have to work everyday which he won't, and he would be climbing up and down ladders running cable tv and internet wires in homes that are being roughed in for plumbing,wiring, stuff like that. Maybe I'm just off my rocker and this is great! lol

MarGeee

Asked by MarGeee at 3:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think it's fine. BUT, if i were you DH, i would tell him that if he does a good job then he will give him more money. Just like a real job. If he can prove himself well, then he gets more money. This will teach him good work ethic.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:23 AM on Jun. 4, 2010

• Im pretty sure its against child labor laws to allow him to do that type of labor. Some states will let him get a work permit so he can get a job (grocery store ect.).
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Does your son actually want to work for $2.00/ hr? Does he realize if he works for 5 hours he is only making $10?
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 3:16 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Not really, he did ask for more and my husband is dead set on $2.00 an hour. I think its kinda sad,for one my husband is a self employed electrical contractor,and I feel he's being cheap!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 3:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I think your dh is a cheap skate shame on him at least give him what's worth it he is going to do most of the job not to mention he will be learning as he goes tell your dh to shove those two dollars and help get your son a job by mowing lawns or a bagged at the grocery store... Something. then again your. Dh is probably letting ur son know that sometimes you bust ur ass and nothing much comes out of it:(
    Anonymous

• I'm not really sure it would be legal or acceptable for a 14 year old to be doing that type of work for other people, but I would think if he was you'd have to pay him at least minimum wage. I can remember I did farm work at that age, and I was paid $5 per hour, and that was over 20 years ago. We do pay our kids less than minimum wage for what amounts to basically extra chores around the house, but we'd pay them at least minimum wage if they were doing real work for people outside the family.

I would be very concerned about liability issues for faulty work when dealing with construction. Your husband really needs to find out whether it's legal to have a 14 year old doing that kind of work for paying customers, and if it is he needs to find out if sub-minimum wage pay is legal under the circumstances.
    Anonymous

• That is a bit low. If it's under the table pay then I would bump it to 5.00 an hour. However, if it is a lagit job where he goes on the payrole he is obligated to pay minimum wage. Like I said though, I think it should be bumped to 5.00 an hour. That sounds like hard work. If your son proves to not to the work then knock down how much he gets paid.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I am thinking I would be very upset if a 14 year old showed up at my home to install electrical wiring.
    Anonymous

• Well, its good experience and will instill life long skills he will be able to use in the future. However, if that was my son..I'd pay him more,lol. This isn't 1985...its 2010...he'd have to work 100 hours just to make $200 bucks...not even enough to buy a playstation 3 ,ma! LOL.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• btw...$2.00 an hour is a good rate say for household chores but not for the stuff he'll be doing.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2010