my 16 month old cusses...:/

i make sure to watch my mouth infront of her, but her dad is a sailor. :(
Anytime our daughter drops something or runs into something or does something wrong she says "Shit"

i dont want her to do this but am told if i pay too much attention to it shell continue but i dont want to NOT say anything to her. what is the best way to get her to stop cussing? (and i know her dad needs to stop..)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• myheartx4 where did i say her not hearing it is not an option? You ladies are seriously putting words in my mouth and acting like a sh*tty mother -----------------

in your original post you said ", but her dad is a sailor. :( "

I assumed that meant that it was just part of him! I do not think you are a shitty mother at all, i have had to deal with exactly the same situation with my four kids as you, and I don't think it makes me a shitty mother - I cannot control the words my DH says, but I do my best to counteract it with other things, please do not take what I said as an attack, I just know I have been telling my DH to not swear and honestly, it falls on deaf ears at my house. I really feel for you and know exactly how you feel.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Well first of all, tell daddy to stop cussing around her. I don't care if he's a sailor or not, he should be aware that his daughter is picking up his fowl language. Secondly, she is old enough to be scolded and told what is right and wrong. So in a very firm and profound voice tell her not to say that word when she says it. You can't be afraid of your child or else she's gonna walk all over you for the rest of your life. Step up and start enforcing rules for her. It's never too early.
    Anonymous

• She is too young to understand that it's ok for dad to say it but it's not ok for her to say it. If dad's not going to quit (what's wrong with him anyway!) then you will have to wait until she is older to try and get her to change. Good luck!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• not sure....I hardly EVER curse and if I do I deffinatly don't do it in front of my kids. My DH does though and so does his friends they say the f word a lot or god d*** a lot and I always am like watch your mouth you have ears around you or something like that lol. My girls ages 5 and 2.5 only said one time a curse word. My first said sh** one time I right away didn't laugh at it (even though it was finda funny hearing a 1.5 year old say it lol), but I was like NO thats bad you don't say that. That is a bad word and she never said another curse word. My 2.5 year old said hers the first time a month ago she said god da** again didn't laugh I was just like NO you don't say that, that is a bad word she hasn't said anything since. I think if you laugh at your child the first time they say it then they will keep saying it because they think it is funny cause mom or dad thought it was funny
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 3:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• WHy does she have to wait til she's older? Why not nip it in the bud right now before she starts saying other words? If she knows it makes you angry when she says it than she'll know not to do it in the future. Besides when will she be old enough? When she's five? When she's in day care saying it left and right? Now is the time, not later. Never put discipline off, you gotta start sometime.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 3:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• a simple time out may help, 1 minute, get dad involved too, because it can be habitual
    have him take a "time -out" too if he would agree to it, that way she recognizes that it isn't okay to say
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I think if you laugh at your child the first time they say it then they will keep saying it because they think it is funny cause mom or dad thought it was funny

And that is probably the reason why she still does it, because mommy and daddy probably thought it was cute and funny the first time.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 4:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I do discipline her when she does it. i tell her dad he needs to stop and he realizes it sometimes it slips. but he knows. i know she doesnt understand that daddy can say it but she cant. which is why he needs to stop doing it.
    Anonymous

• I curse like a sailor too, even though I try my hardest not to. It still happens. When my DD was about 2 she started to and I sat her down and explained (in 2 yr old words) that Mommy was a grown up and she was not allowed to use grown up words. But I gave her alternatives. Example: Instead of asshole she says 'meanie', instead of bitch she says 'punk'. Probably not the best parenting in some of these ladies opinions, but you have to work with the situation you have. I tried my hardest to stop swearing and it was just about impossible...
    Anonymous

• GinNtonic you got your little story wrong.

We didn't laugh at her when she said it. I know kids will continue to do it if you laugh.
    I do put my foot down and tell her no shen she does this yet she continues to, almost like she is getting attention from it when we tell her not to do it so she keeps doing it.
    Anonymous