After 10 years, do you still get or give pictures?

What are some positive things you can share after 10 years into open adoption? How has it benefited you and your children? Would you do it again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Adoption

• I grew up in a very open adoption, my birthmom and my adoptive mother were very close and they always shared pictures and holidays with me. I can tell you as an adoptee the open adoption kept me out of a lot of trouble.My birth mother played the roll of more of my best friend or older sister, so growing up even though I knew she was my birth mother I trusted her and told her everything. If I was thinking of doing something borderline stupid or that could get me into major trouble she would do her best to talk me out of it by telling me things that she did "when she was my age" and how things went wrong. If all else failed she would tell my adoptive mom who would then catch me before I had the chance to cause trouble. My life was amazing because of how my birth mom and my adoptive mother worked together to raise me. Now my husband and I are planning to adopt.

MiddletonFamily

Answer by MiddletonFamily at 4:20 PM on Jun. 10, 2010

• I have just signed my right over to my children a year ago and the adopted family said they would send pictures and updates every month. I haven't received one yet. What I would do to hear there voices or see there faces. I was entering a long term treatment center and my children were all under the age of 5 and I thought this would be the best for them. The family said after I was clean that I could have contact with them. I have been clean over a year and have heard nothing. I feel like she told me what I wanted to hear to get my children. And I get nothing. I worry I will never see them again. So yes send pictures. I can't be there to watch them grow up so at least I could see it through photos.

mygirls255

Answer by mygirls255 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 29, 2010