how can I keep my kitchen floor clean without having to mop everyday?

We have a 1 year old who has learned to toss it all on the floor, a large old lady german shepherd ( my husband's dog) who is set in her ways and drips water all over while leaving behind tufts of hair which gets mixed with the water and dries- she also drags in dirt and sand on her paws which of course adds to the hair mix, two cats who are sloppy with their food and water and a husband who insists on wearing his work boots in the house. Uggghhh. By the end of the week, let alone the day, its just awful. Is there any help for me?

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 4:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Put newspapers under your 1 year old when they're eating. Simply pick up and throw away when done.

Brush the dog daily (we have a Siberian husky, I know what it's like)

Get the pet food dishes out of the kitchen and into a more inconspicuous spot. Our 3 dogs and 2 cats eat in the entry way. They're also confined there with a baby gate when they've got dirty feet.

Tell hubby NO BOOTS IN THE HOUSE or else HE gets to mop the floor every night. Have a pair of shoes that he can change into when he gets home from work to wear around the house. My husband's work boots leave those black scuff marks and oil from work on the floor. I made him clean up after himself twice and he got the idea. Now he takes his boots off at the door.

A Swiffer wetjet is SUPER handy for cleaning up messes throughout the day. Takes just a minute to grab it and wipe over the messy area.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• a $1 shower curtain. You can cut it in a circle or however. You will still have to tidy it up but hey, its $1! lol When it gets too bad just soak in tub and rinse a bit.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Tell your husband to be considerate and that you work hard to clean the house and he needs to take his boots off. i know it's hard I battle it out with my husband about the boots too.
    Can you put the dog dishes elsewhere? you could get a carpet scrap for the dogs dishes to absorb the mess or you can find a muddy boot tray/rug doormat type of thing you buy them where door mats are sold, they are great for dirty boots and pet dishes.
    shower curtain or some sort of splat mat under the high chair.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• if you were the only one in the house it would stay clean. i mop every other day. as for the animals in the house get rid of them, that is why i do not have any. i have enough to do. it never stops i feel for you!!!
    Anonymous

• get flooring that doesn't show it
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• gee, i would really really have a problem with anyone wearing shoes in the house (especially work boots!). for the kid i use a hard plastic mat that is supposed to be for office chairs under the high chair and that's real easy to wipe clean with a paper towel. with the pets (i only have cats) i sweep up all their dust bunnies at the end of the day. idk about the dirty dog feet..... that would drive me nuts too. maybe clean her paws off when she comes in from the yard? idk
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• drop cloth lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Put the kids up for adoption.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jun. 3, 2010