Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do I tell her?

I am a sahm to an amazing 4 year old little girl. In oct by neighbor asked me if I wouldn't mind watching her then 9 month old a couple days a week. (My first mistake is I never asked about pay) Well at first it was only a couple days a week for a couple of hours. Now I watch her 4 days a week from 9 am to 9:30 pm. I get paid 170 dollars a month. I know for a fact that her DH comes home in the middle of the day for awhile but never comes to get there daughter. It's summer now I want to be able to go to the pool and lake and to my parents and inlaws to visit and of course I can't take her. I'm just sick of them taking advantage of me.

I guess my point is how do I tell them I can't/don't want to watch her anymore.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (15)
  • You could just flat out tell her or start making "Dr Appointments" or other arrangements where the other child can not go. Once you start it she will find someone else. But I would try to tell her whats going on.

    Answer by Savymom25 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • Just be up front and say, "I'm done. Sorry, I have lots of plans with the family this summer." But honestly, she has taken advantage of you so badly you should be hopping mad and just let her have it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2010


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • OH my gosh, sweetie, you need to just tell her NO MORE!! 170? That is ridiculous! Have you ever looked up how much people make taking in kids in their home? You should be making more like $700 per month and that is only charging less than $3 per hour. Seriously, you need to quit ASAP!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • Wow...Youre going to just have to tell her just like you said here.Tell her sorry but you just can't help her out anymore, you have other things to do and don't have the time.

    Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • I agree with everyone, that is absolutely ridiculous! I would tell her that since the times you are watching the baby has changed so much from your original agreement you can't keep up with that kind of commitment. She should not get offended with you not wanting earn $170 a month as long as you give her a few weeks notice. Good luck, she is taking advantage of your generosity and shouldn't be surprised you want out.

    Answer by katie23 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • Don't lie or come up with excuses, just tell her point blank you will no longer watch her child.. She has taken advantage of you and will continue to worm her way in unless you are blunt. Telling her about the agreement will only lessen the time you have the child "for now" but it will creep back to all the time once again. You do not owe her anything and don't worry about her feelings cause she sure didn't worry about you.. Some people you just can't be nice to or try and help out.

    Answer by midnightmoma at 4:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • A couple of months ago I asked her for more money and she said sure sure and you see how that worked out.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • I agree with everyone and you need to just have that conversation with her and tell her you can't do it anymore, however I would give her a notice maybe 2 weeks enough time for her to find suitable childcare for the baby. Good luck!

    Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • Tell her you can't watch her this summer. It's that simple. She'll find someone else

    Answer by admckenzie at 5:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.