Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any one ever done this peanut allergy desensitizing? Heard of it?

http://www.askaboutmypeanutallergy.com/

I want to look more into it.

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • My daughter's allergist (she has a life-threatening peanut allergy) talked about this as something that is still being researched/developed and that will hopefully in the near future be available. Not as something that is an option today.
    EmilySusan

    Answer by EmilySusan at 6:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • I've heard about it, but never tried it. I wouldn't recommend trying it on children younger then 2 though. I say this because my sister's daughter was given little bits of peanut butter before 2 and has developed a life threatening allergy to all things containing peanuts.
    TheDiva320

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • I've heard and read about it. Don't do this at home! Like allergy shots there can be deadly reactions. My grandson has peanut allergy. I doubt it work for him because of other genetic problems he has with his immune system. I did allergy shots for years and they did nothing. Then about 10 years later I was diagnosed with a rare genetic immune disorder and my new immunologist/allergist said that was why shots didn't work. People who have allergies have IgE mediated responses. They may also have other problems with their immune system. Those problems may make desensitization not work.

    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 4:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • I've heard of it but I don't know anyone who has had it be successful.

    I had allergy shots for years (dust, dust mites, feathers, grass, some tree pollen, mold, cats/dogs) and I am better now and actually own a cat. I do not know how it works for peanuts.

    Good luck, please let me know what you learn. :)
    kjrn79

    Answer by kjrn79 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • OP:: I was not planning to do ti myself! I plan to look into it an see what age it can start and if it can even be dome around where I am.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • I've read about it, but am not willing to let my son be a test subject. We'll just avoid nuts forever.
    Pnukey

    Answer by Pnukey at 9:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • Heard about it and that is kinda what we are doing with my oldest. He is allergic to peanut butter only. So we keep exposing him to peanuts and once or twice a year we try him on peanut butter. His pedi totally recommends this if we want to try it since his reaction is never severe.
    purpleducky

    Answer by purpleducky at 10:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN