what is the worst parenting advice or comment given to you

so many hard to choose
but recent...
when i told one of my daughter's therapist that she peeped in her baby blow up pool, stnading up, no clothes, and saw her pee and heard it hit the water (good for her, asked for diaper after that)
therapist said...you know that you have to dump the water then?

DDDUUUHHH!

no shit sherlock, i wanted to tell her that we do not use water from the hose it is too cold, we all just pee in the baby pool-makes it warmer...idiot

i feel better, needed to vent!

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 4:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My MIL told me not to leave my daughter outside alone. DUH! Mind you, this was completely out of nowhere when she was still a tiny little infant.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• LMAO! Don't you just love that idiot advice?! As if you didn't know!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• It's not really as harmful as you may think for her to swim in a little pool that she's peed in herself, but dumping the water is always a good idea ;)

Anyway....let's see....i can't think of any bad avice. My mil told me not to let flies land on my son or he could diseases (highly unlikely I think). LOL
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 4:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• this is a bit different.....but a long time ago I had a UTI and told my mom about it on the phone...she told me to wipe front to back. I will always be 7 years old in her eyes. sheesh!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• don't breastfeed....that was my mother in law.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Haha - you don't have to dump the water - urine is sterile and can actually be drank so a little bit in litres and litres of water won't hurt her in the slightest.
    Worst advice..hmmm .. my MIL told me my 4 wk old baby was allergic to my breast milk and that I was poisoning him. I had zero experience with babies so I believed her and weaned him :-( Found out later she has never BF a child-thinks its dirty, She also babysat for us one day for an hour when baby was 6 wks old. We came home to find her in the kitchen making soup while the baby was in the bath tub ! There he was lying on a mat with water to his little ears wiggling around. He'd splashed his faceand was turning his head side to side. She said thats how I should bath him as it will give me time to get things done . OMG!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I'd have to say when my mil told me to not give my newborn "all that formula" and to give him water instead! Ummm yeah right! I fired back at her that "my Doctor said NO WATER! And that Parents magazine had an article about how water is harmful to newborns!" That shut her up!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 4:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• can I add that was 16 yrs ago and no such thing as a lactation clinic or nurse in our little town
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Pee in pool water doesn't matter. I'm a medical lab technologist. Pee is sterile and there is nothing in it that will hurt you. Doctors used to tell people to pee on their hands to cure rashes. Pee has urea in it and today there are chemicals with urea in them in hand lotion.

My 12 mo child had failure to thrive and the hospital psychiatrist said I wanted him to stay tiny because he was my youngest child and I wasn't going to have more (going through divorce). He was then diagnosed with a genetic disease that had failure to thrive as a warning sign. Psychiatrist never came back and said anything about how she was wrong.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• "Oh, just go ahead and give her a little regular food, its not gonna hurt her..I was feeding mine mashed potatoes and gracy at 2 weeks..hahaha"
    That was some advice from the mil. lol ..but I think with different generations comes many different ideas about how things should be,could be done.
    And I've read about the flies carrying diseases...and I kinda believe that,lol.
    For the pool..I woulda thought the same thing..."no shit sherlock!" ,lol...Why some people feel the need to say some things is beyond me,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2010