Earth's Best Formula

I have read mixed reviews about this formula. Have you used it? Do you have any feedback??

I am currently nursing my 5 month old, but am 3 months pregnant and my milk supply is very low. I know I should start supplementing, but just not sure what to go with.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you sure its low? How is diaper count? I've seen this one, but i can't make a rec since i've never used formula. http://www.naturesone.com/dairy/

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I never breatfed any of my three boys--I just wasn't comfortable with it. My SIL breastfed both of her girls. There are no differences in our children-healthwise or intelligence wise. I am a believer in doing what is best for your own family--not by anyone else's standard and I had no issues with formula. Neither did my sisters or any friends who formula fed.
    mom2LandL

Answer by mom2LandL at 5:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• You may be able to get breast milk from the web site milkshare. The World Health Organization considers milk from another mother much better than formula. Milk from milk banks is hard to get and crazy expensive.

http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/contact

You could go ahead and start solids. That may be enough with your milk. If you decide to go with formula, Natures One is the leading organic formula. Goat's milk is not safe as an alternative to formula. Research it - go to google. Read about the problems in Europe. Goat's milk or any mammal milk should not be given before 12 mo.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• OP Here-- Her wet diapers are good. I change her 6-8 times a day and she's always full. I pump for her cereal feedings and I was getting 6-9 ounces easy and now only 1/2-1, which is not normal for me. She has lost about 2.5 lbs in the last month, that's my concern. I've been told about milkshare, but I'm just wanting to supplement maybe once a day until she gets her weight back up, so I don't care to supplement with formula.
    Anonymous

• People like mom2LandL just don't understand. It is very hard for mothers who want to breastfeed and find themselves in a situation that they don't have enough milk. What's best for every child, no matter what mother they happen to be born to or what family they live in, is breastfeeding. Children that aren't breastfed have short and long-term health consequences. It impacts their lives forever. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there. You can't see the impact of many bad health behaviors (like how a smokers lungs look).

It's great that anon is nursing through a pregnancy and she can keep on nursing and nurse both babies.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Pumping isn't a measure of what the baby gets. 6-8 diapers is quite normal and you say she's full. Your breasts may just not be responding to the pump because of the hormones of your pregnancy changes how they feel KWIM? Is your 5 month old cruising? When babies start cruising they may lose some weight at first.

You could also switch to avocado rather than cereal. Cereal doesn't pack much nutritional punch. Avocado, however, does.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• That much weight loss is a concern. You don't need to pump for cereal, breastfed babies don't need cereal. You can give her fork mashed sweet potato and add some butter or olive oil for added calories. Avocados are high in calories and you can add olive oil to them. Most fruits and veggies are low in fat and calories but you can add high quality fat to up the calories.

If there are no allergies in the family and there has been no problems with you having milk in your diet and your milk you could start whole milk yogurt or cheese after 6 mo - they are high in fat and calories.

What did the doctor say?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I know that what I pump is not an accurate measure of what the baby is getting, but it's not normal amounts for me. I breastfed my first son successfully, so I know my body. I know my supply is low. She isn't cruising yet, so she shouldn't be losing weight. I truly believe she is not getting what she's been. If she was a large baby, I wouldn't be so worried, but she's down to just under 15 lbs. I haven't seen her dr yet, but I know they'll push formula. I had never heard of avocados. I will look into that. She does take other solids... I mash up sweet potatoes, beans, peas, bananas, pears, prunes. She gets about an oz of veg and 2 fruits. I put my son on those "YoBaby" yougurts when he was 9 months, so maybe I'll try to introduce that soon after 6 months. I do plan to continue to breastfeed my daughter and if I am unable due to my hormones, she will be young enough when the baby comes to start back on the breast.
    Anonymous

• avocado is the main ingredient in guacamole.   It's an oil rich fruit.  

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Diaper counts are good.... she doesn't need to be cruising to start stalling on weight gain, just sitting up and crawling will do it! Combined with solids, she's burning more calories and eating less.

As for formulas, I'd look at baby's only. It's marked as a toddler formula... but that's only because they want to promote breastfeeding through the first year. If it's just one bottle a day, I'd honestly just try plain goats milk.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 7:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2010