Administration Offered Possible Job to Primary Challenger in Colorado, Sources Say -- Another job offer / bribe?

Administration officials dangled the possibility of a job for former Colorado House Speaker Andrew Romanoff last year in hopes he would forego a challenge to Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet.

Administration officials on Wednesday declined to specify the job that was floated or the name of the administration official who approached Romanoff, and said no formal offer was ever made. They spoke on condition of anonymity, saying they were not cleared to discuss private conversations.

Romanoff's campaign spokesman did not immediately respond to questions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Remember that I never expect honesty from ANY politician. I think you have to be a fool to expect that. If they are in politics they MUST lie or die.
    ------
    I agree that this is the way it is now. BUT, why do we accept that as the status quo?

I think this type of behavior is just awful. It is technically criminal. And the real kicker? I've heard some lady on one of the shows who said that she didn't think it really was criminal because no-one has ever been prosecuted under that section of the law before. That really floored me! A law is written that makes this action criminal, but since we haven't ever used it before, well, then it ISN'T criminal..... I really wonder about some of these experts they pull in to discuss these issues on the various programs...
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I'd like to say people would be surprised hearing this ...... but I can't. I'm sure not. As I have said before, this administration will go down as the most corrupt in history.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• They offered a job to some guy. oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 5:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Autumn, is life good with your head on that sand? It's just MORE politics as usual from a group that got in the coattails of a man whose ONLY claim to fame was that he was going to be DIFFERENT. Remember that whole HOPE and CHANGE mantra?? A big O line of BS. And the ONLY defense his SHEEPLE have is "well OTHER people did it" Thats just great...JUST what you voted in MORE of the SAME. At LEAST admit THAT much now. I mean good grief.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• You are completely right Autumn, buying someone off with a job offer is no big deal.

That is why there is a Congressional probe and investigation going on regarding Sestak, and the FBI will most likely become involved.

But it's no big deal. Or it won't be until Obama's minions are charged with a crime, then you will be screaming your head off.
    Anonymous

• This is for the uneducated who don't understand the issue:

18 U.S.C. § 600 prohibits the use of government-funded jobs or programs to advance partisan political interests.  The statute makes it unlawful for anyone to “promise any employment, position, compensation, contract, appointment, or other benefit” to any person as a “consideration, favor, or reward for any political activity or for the support of or opposition to any candidate or any political party…in connection with any primary election.” As the OLC opinion says, § 600 “punishes those who promise federal employment or benefits as an enticement to or reward for future political activity, but does not prohibit rewards for past political activity.” 

Anonymous

• Future political activity would arguably include dropping out of a contested primary in order to benefit the White House-endorsed candidate.
    Anonymous

• Just more of the corrupt Chicago way.

Change you can believe in.

For those who voted for Obama, can you admit you made a mistake yet?

YES YOU CAN!!!

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Makes you wonder.....
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• "As I have said before, this administration will go down as the most corrupt in history. "

Oh, they have a LOOONG way to go before they outdo Nixon or Harding. Still, it is WRONG. And if Obama should run again in 2012 (you know it's not a guarantee; any president can choose not to run), I will not be voting for him.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2010