What's wrong with adopting kids in our own country?

Everytime I hear about a celebrity or anyone else adopting, they only seem to adopt kids from other countries. Why can't they adopt kids here in the U.S? Don't children here deserve a home just as much as a child over seas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know. It annoys me too. Over 100,000 kids in the foster system at any point in time, and people are bringing in kids from other countries. Pisses me off... We need to take care of the kids of our country first.
    Anonymous

• I agree with you ladies!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• totally agree.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 5:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I do agree, but in many cases it is easier to adopt from somewhere else. Plus with foreign adoptions mom can't change her mind.

PS Sandra Bullock adopted a child from the US.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• At least they don't have to worry about some crack head mom showing up at school and taking off with their kid. My DD's mother did that to her siblings. You never know when your child is safe. You don't know who could be a friend of relative of birthmom out to do harm. These children are not in the system because their parents are stable. It's a lot to deal with.
    Anonymous

• My in laws adopted from Russia. They did not adopt from the US due to to biological parents being allowed to change their mind, and due to how drawn out the process can be. The process in Russia was fairly easy for them.

A friend of my mom's adopted a little girl (in the US) only to have the courts give her back to mom after 7 MONTHS of living with them. NICE HUH??

Anonymous

• It's not easy. It took us 5 years to adopt the one because the case went all the way to the supreme court. And after one year we had to give back the other. I can see why someone wouldn't want to go through all that.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 5:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Personally, I would never adopt from this country. I feel that a greater good is done when you are able to help someone in the most need. While the foster and orphanage system in our country is far from perfect, it is MILES better than in some other countries where children are sold for money or sex or forced to work to pay their way from young ages. Children with disabilities are often tossed in "institutions" and left to rot... To me, a person is a person, regardless of where he or she was born, and if I'm going to help a child (or anyone) I want to know that I am doing the best I can. I see these children in a greater need than I do children here - and so I feel it is better to adopt from foreign countries when you can.

Also, not all celebrities do this - Sandra Bullock just adopted from New Orleans...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• The foster care system is to get parents and children back together. You can't just go an adopt a kid just because he or she is in foster care. Usually, they are waiting for the parents of those kids to come around and take the kids back.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Hey, get this. Kids are kids no matter where they live? Why should we be more interested in adopting kids who were born in a certain geographical area?
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2010