Grammar

I believe that anyone who wants to look like they have reliable information or an answer worth taking seriously should learn how to use "you're, your, they're, their, there, to, too, and many other words properly. Not saying that they're stupid or anything, just that if they have the Internet, they should use it to learn proper grammar. Thoughts?

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Agree! Poor grammar bugs me!
    Anonymous

• Not really. I mean, we all know the difference between they're and their but when typing we all try to be quick. It's like Dunno instead of Don't know etc.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 5:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I totally agree with you! Using the word "to" instead of "too" (as in "I really like that movie too" or "its just too hard for me") drives me INSANE both online and in texts. I know I make my mistakes sometimes but come on... at least try to spell correctly!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Well i feel that people should'nt be so judgemental of others grammar or mistakes on here. Whose passing out grades?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I agree as well. Yes this is just an Internet chat forum, but people really should use proper wording in their posts. It does make them look less intelligent imo.

Anonymous

• I always got straight A's in school and spelling / grammer / reading were my best subjects.....

BUT on here I constantly spell things wrong, put periods and commas where they don't belong, etc. because I try to type fast and I feel like my mind is going faster than i can type lol....

I mean yeah sometimes it is annoying ( like when i see " Wut iz I sayin", but it is also annoying when people constantly point out how bad your grammar is ( especialy when that is the only thing they say instead of actually answering a question) ...so maybe we should all just be a little more forgiving and stop pointing fingers.
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 5:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• well so far i have found one mistake with one of you who seem to agree...so hahahahahah
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• people really should use proper wording in their posts. It does make them look less intelligent imo.

how odd that you would judge someones intelligence by their grammar. This has been a recurrent question lately - I said it before and I'll say it again - my DH has terrible grammar skills and spell check is his best friend. He is a state manger for a huge firm, very, very intelligent and quick witted, managing upwards of 300 managers and their staff. If you were to judge his intelligence based on his spelling skills you would be incorrect. Spell check doesn't correct their, there or they're , and you can use the very best grammar and loftiest words and still come across looking like a complete dumb-arse - I would suggest you get over yourself!
    Anonymous

• I hate it too. I try not to judge because I'm not perfect and sometimes I'll even mess up - even though I DO know the rules. The poster who said sometimes we type too quick and it's a mistake. And that's true. BUT also sometimes people are just... ignorant. Or don't care. Lazy grammer and spelling is not good. If we're making all kind of mistakes, what does that teach our kids?
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• blubunni99, you have no right to ever judge anyone!
    Anonymous