How big are your 8 month olds?

My son was born Sept. 30th 2009... He weighed 7lbs 9oz and was 20 inches long.

Today he is 25lbs 3oz and is 29 inches long...

his doctor says that he is on the obese side, but I just see a big baby, he doesnt have many rolls (not saying there are NO rolls, just not many)

I only give him 3 bottles a day with 6 oz of Formula, and he eats a little bit of oatmeal cereal 4 breakfast, some baby veggies 4 lunch, and a little bit of oatmeal cereal with baby veggies for dinner. I usually make him a bottle after each feeding and he takes take an extra one sometimes in the morning before breakfast...

But I was just curious how big your baby is or was at 8 months? Did you have a big baby? if so what did you do about their size?

2008_MOMMy

Asked by 2008_MOMMy at 5:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was always in the 80% in weight. I mostly breastfed until he was almost 11mths old. He was just a few oz shy of 21lbs at 8 mths.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 5:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My daughter was born sept. weighed 8 lbs and was 20 in long. She's about 17lbs now and about 27 inches long. She's a slender whirlwind. I get told all the time how petite she is. But she's lively and freakishly strong. The girl is all muscle. Funny, that when i told people how much she weighed at birth they gasped "how big!" and then as soon as they looked at her as a newborn cooed "how petite!". So weight isn't the main thing. It is health and body type.

I do nothing about her weight. Some babies are big and some are small. They all have different body types. I was also a slender child and my frame is small too. I don't worry because she's active, alter, smiley, has met all major milestones, looks healthy and her fingernails grow like weeds. She doesn't keep still...ever.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• my son is below the 5% for his age he is currently 10 months and only weights 16lbs. He has some GI issues that we are trying to fix hopefully sooner than later.
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 5:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My son was just shy of 17 pounds at 8 months but he was 30 inches tall so 97% for height and 10% for weight, he eats all the time and was then as well, different babies grow differently. What %ages is he in? If he is trending the same at each appointment it shouldn't be a problem
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• He is on the big side. You look for doubling birth weight by six months, tripling by one year. He's already well beyond that, so the doc is wise to alert you to the possibility of trouble. No need to panic, just be aware.

Remember that his formula is his main meal...solids follow the bottle and whatever he takes after is fine. But don't give them separately. That will discourage overeating.

Tow things you really need to keep in mind...you want to be able to keep lifting him without need of a forklift, and you want him to be able to handle his own weight to walk. Heavier babies can have problems with that. My brother was one of those heavyweights and he walked late because his legs couldn't lift him!

Answer by gdiamante at 6:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• lmao, my baby girl doubled her birthweight in the first month and has been growing like a weed ever since. now she is 8 1/2 months and weighs 21 lbs and i am so bad i forget her height. the main thing is to see if their height and weight are about the same on the growth curve. for example my baby girl has always been in the 75th-95th percentiles for height AND weight. if the weight is more than 25% above the height then they are getting too fat. on the other hand, my kids have always grown in spurts of weight first and then length..... in the end it evened out lol.
    does he get any exercise? does he like to crawl or roll around on the floor? does he have a jumpy toy that he can sit in and use his legs to jump or bounce? those are all great ways for him to 'work out' and have fun
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My son is 9.5m and he only weights 18.5lbs!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My son is 6 days older than yours and weight about 19 1/2 lbs, and is 28 inches long. He was 8 lbs, 9 oz. when he was born.He seems pretty chunky to me, but is in the 50th percentile. Personally, I think that 25 lbs is pretty big, but I'm not a doctor. Take your doctor's suggestions.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:47 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My son is 8 months and was born at 8.7lbs...he's now 22lbs and 28 inches...75th percentile and healthy!!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Your son is 90th percent for height, and off the charts for weight. I have always been told that if thier weight percentile exceeds thier height percentile they are obese. And hes off the charts, so i would go with what your doctor says. The 50th percentile (average) weight for an 8 month old boy is a tad over 20lb.....
    Anonymous