Is the oil spill affecting your community?

I just watched the news and heard it finally hit here (the FL panhandle). This is such a mess. We just built up after Hurricane Ivan getting back on our economic feet and doggone if this doesn't happen. Economically it could bankrupt this area and I don't even want to think about what it's doing to the wildlife. We have the most beautiful sugary white beaches and emerald green water...or did until BP thought it should all be slimey brown

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, Im in Biloxi, Ms. They have basically banned fishing in alot of areas now. We had oil show up on a barrier island south of pascagoula, ms. I hear that by this weekend the oil will have reached our barrier islands. We have gorgeous islands too. Our seafood industry is gonna be so devestated. There was a REP from BP who said "Mississippi and Louisiana are not the only places with shrimp." What an A$$. No, we may not be the only areas with seafood, but seafood is how alot of people make a living.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 5:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I'm in PA, so no. I would figure if it was affecting us here - the whole world was screwed by then!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I live in Mobile Al so yes. They have shut down Dauphin Island to swimming as of yesterday :( Thats tourist $$$ down the drain and on a personal note it really stinks to not be able to enjoy those beaches with my children. I am SO pissed at the way this has been and continues to be handled. This is NOT like Katrina...it's WORSE> During Katrina the FEDS had to WAIT for the states to ask them for help. It's the law people. THESE rigs are covered by the FEDERAL govt. There was NOTHING to stop them from taking this in hand at the get go! The waited around because they didnt think it would get this bad. I REALLY think the handling of this is going to bite Obama in the butt.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Not here in Minnesota. We used to live in the Florida Panhandle in the 1970's ( in the Air Force) and loved the beach. I am just so sorry. BP and their idiots in charge make me so angry.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Those of you who are in areas that are affected, my heart goes out to you, the beaches are so beautiful and I am so sorry that The White House is not right there on the beach, so they would have to deal with this just as you are!!! It is like a game or something to them, I don't get it, I can't even imagine the environmental impact this will have, if they can't get this under control b4 December...
    Did you see that video where the men from Louisiana or Miss. showed how to use grass or hay to soak it up? Why can't they do that??? I don't get it!!!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Agentwanda....BP should be taking care of this....not us. BP, a British company,is at fault. That's it. Just don't use this tragedy as another way for you to bash the President and the administration. Karma,baby. It will get ya.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• anon....honey....WHO regulates those oil rigs?? WHO is responsible for making sure BP follows the regulations? WHO has FAILED to preform the last FOUR inspections? Leave msnbc dear and look around :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• This oil spill is also affecting AMERICANS, Our "President" should be all over making sure this is fixed YESTERDAY. I dont care if its a British Company, its AMERICAN shores. AMERICANS losing their livelihood.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2010