do you censor everyones language around your kids?

do you allow curse words around your kids from other people?movies?shows?

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• not movies or shows, but I can't completely censor what my family says around her. SO and I watch our mouths, but stuff slips sometimes, and my siblings and parents aren't any better. A word here or there doesnt bother me so much as every other word being f this or b this or what have you. When someone is talking like that in front of her I tell them to watch their mouth.
    Anonymous

• I do not really cuss... The only times I ever do is if I am super mad...and even then it is still kind of "tame" lol...

But my husband still cusses alot 9 but not as much as he did when we first got together) , and so does pretty much everyone else around...

My dad thinks its funny to teach my kids words like Sh*t, and damnit ...and I have to admit it is funny sometimes....but when they are older ( school age) hopefully they dont really do it that much
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 5:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• No, we do not curse around our children and do not allow others to do so either (but we really don't know anyone who cuss a lot). They are only allowed to watch a movie or 2 on the weekends so its pretty easy to avoid bad language on TV.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 5:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• We work to watch our language around our kids and most people we know do too. We did have an issue with my younger sister a few years ago because she cursed so much that our kids asked why she talked like that. Once I told her to cut it out and reminded her a few times, it stopped.
    We don't usually censor other people, but in that case it was too much. Our kids hear an occasional curse word, but are still not allowed to use them.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Oh, also...with tv, when they are up and the tv is on, pretty much the only things on are Nick, pbs, or a kid movie... but whenever one of "our" shows are on, and a bad word slips in... they dont really seem to notice
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 5:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My two year old told me the other day that I was "Pissing her off" and it made me laugh..

Really it depends on what is being said. I could care less if someone says, "I'm pissed" around her, because it isn't that bad.. Now if someone is walking around dropping the f-bomb, I don't think I'm going to be to happy with them. I watch my language, and most everyone else who sees her does, too. And she doesn't watch TV/movies.
    Anonymous

• Nope, not really. I don't allow racial or any other form of discriminatory hate speech in my home - besides the TV, who I can't correct - but it has NOTHING to do with my kids. Just basic respect for any and everyone in my home, family & life. But cussing and whatnot doesn't bother me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I don't really know how one would censor other people. Am I going to walk around telling strangers to stop cussing? No. The world is the world and there's not a lot I can do about that, but I would not hang around someone spewing hatred or cussing a lot. That is just common sense.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I don't allow anyone to cuss around my kids. They don't spend time with strangers and the friends I choose to spend time with are mature enough to know better than to cuss around a child. We don't watch adult programming until after the kids are in bed. So, except for the occasional cuss word in Disney movie (why do they do that?!?), they don't ever hear them.

Answer by missanc at 6:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• No... rather than trying to censor the world, I educate my children. They know about curse words and that adults say them sometimes, and they'll hear them from their friends from time to time... I try to let them know that how they act and behave speaks volumes about their character.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 6:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2010