i feel like i was a little harsh...

my son hasn't eaten (or more like refused to eat) veggies since he was a baby. so this past week ive been offering him a variety of different ones and i tell him he has to have at least 2 bites. well today, he decided he doesn't even want to try it. then continued to drop the green bean on the floor (ON PURPOSE!) he's 3, so he knows what he's doing for the most part. so im making him eat every single green bean. am i being too harsh?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would backtrack to the two bites....

AND I would make him clean up the mess that he made. The lesson is if you make a mess, clean it up. Tell him he has to clean it up after you let him leave the table.

Not make a mess, you have to eat all of the beans, right?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Yes. What you are doing is assuring that you have a child who has an unhealthy attitude and ideas about food.

Food should never be used as a punishment.
    If a child is refusing to eat their dinner - let them refuse, children do not starve themselves. As long as you offer a selection of healthy foods, and let them choose whether they want to eat ot or not - eventually they will eat it.

By forcing him to eat something you are creating a negativity with not only that food, but with meal times in generl, and that will not help him at all.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 6:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I must have been typing at the same time as anon...I do agree with that last sentence about forcing him to eat something.

There's a lot of info about getting kids to eat "right" and serving veggies with dips, or in muffins, or in meatloaf....try googling.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I agree that you are creating a negative experience for him. Maybe he doesn't like them. One time I tried making my son eat rice and he threw it up on me. I never tried to make him eat something he didn't want after that.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:00 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• if he throws his food on the floor then he's not hungry so don't keep giving him food.
    Anonymous

• Don't push the issue. Just put a bit of the veggies on his plate and tell him "Those are there in case you want to try them." Don't say anything else. He might take a bite, and he might not. It might take some time, but there's a good chance he'll eventually try something. We tried for three months to get my son to eat baked beans, and he finally ate two beans for the first time late last week.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Oh, don't put too many on the plate. Get a cereal spoon, and put that many of the veggie on his plate.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Yeah don't push it it is not the end of the world if he doesn't like veggies, his taste buds will change as he changes. However he does need to clean up his mess.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2010