What ways have you found to deal with getting the monkeys off your back (meaning stress)?

stress, copeing, relaxation, meditation

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Health

• Stepping outside for fresh air, reading a book, listening to music, taking a hot shower (alone!), walking, eating (lol), talking to my close friends, going grocery shopping alone.

I've also resorted to meds because even though those things helped, it didn't help enough. Now I seem to handle things a lot better.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I wake up and give thanks for what I have. I read the Bible. I go to CafeMom and try to uplift someones day. I write and draw. And I take xanax , lol.
    treece

Answer by treece at 5:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• When I can get some free time I put my headphones on, pull out a fuzzy art poster, and just color (I was not blessed with drawing ability so those fuzzy art posters are great ;-D!). It probably sounds very childish but it worked for me and sometimes I just need some mindless moments to try to get stressful thoughts out of my head.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 6:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Cafe mom does wonders for me. Just reading and answering questions. Or a hot bath works. Wet your hair. find someone to talk to who is not judgemental. get a pedicure or if you can't afford it, paint your own nails.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 6:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• If the stress is bad enough...Xanax! I am a 44 year old single mom and full-time student dealing with a 12 year old in puberty and a dead beat dad. It works wonders on the really bad days! But it's not something you want to take everyday.
    awaysL8

Answer by awaysL8 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Decide what is really important to you and what your priorities are. Live simply by focusing on what you really need not everything you want. Delegate what you can. Say no if it isn't going to fit into your priorities or it will ovewhelm your schedule or your mind! I assume when you say monkies, you are taking on too much and it isn't fun. Good luck clearing your plate. Make sure you have room for dessert!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2008