Any other baby go through this

When my son was born like always they just put him on regular similac (blue can), he was on it for one day and it gave him diraha so they took him off of it.... Make a long story short after 2 months of trying different formula's his doctor put him on alimentum. It helped with the eating/fussyness/gas/reflux but he has always had a breathing problem, he is going to a lung dr every 6 weeks and is having a tube run down his thoat to look into his lungs on Monday, it honselty sounds like he has a cozoo in his thoat. Well yesturday his dr wanted him to start back on the regular similac and we down from 4 breathing treatments a day to just 1 so far. I was just wondering if anyone thought his breathing could be due to the alimentum or if anyone else's child did something smiliar?!?!?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm guessing they just ran out of formula to suggest,so they started at square one again. i doubt the alimentum caused it.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• "like always they just put him on regular similac"? Where do they "always" put a child on formula right after birth? Maybe if he'd been fed what he was intended to eat he wouldn't have any/all of these problems.

I'm sorry, I know it probably sounds snarky, but it's the truth.

And yes, I'm posting anon because I'm not ordinarily this honest. It's just hard never saying anything to avoid causing drama or hurting feelings.
    Anonymous

• To Anon. I actually had a c-section and he was my second child, and i DIDNT produce enough milk in my breast to feed him the "natural" way. Not every women's body is perfect, and i personally dont believe that my sons breathing problems is mine NOR the drs fault. I was just asking if a simple kind of formula had ever worsened (sp) a breathing problem in a child. Maybe where you live they dont start out on similac if your arent/cant breastfed, but where i live most places do. I assume u breastfed and your children are "perfect" right? Maybe next time keep your RUDE comments to yourself!
    Anonymous

• How do you know you didn't? You said they gave him formula at the hospital. And what does c-section and second kid have to do with it.?..I was given ProSobee for my son from the hospital. I doubt it was the formula.
    Anonymous

• Formula has many risks and side effects and unfortunately it sounds as if your child is suffering from those side effects.

Have you tried to relactate? By your child going right to formula you had no chance to see if you are able to produce. Remember even producing a little and feeding him that little bit may be able to bring your child around. There is also donor milk if you can not relactate.If I were you I would do everything in my power to try and give baby the normal nutrition his body is craving. Good Luck!!

Anonymous

• Please don't take this the wrong way, I just want to give you some info in case you have more kids, and want to nurse them. C section - no big deal, you can nurse. And as to know how much you're producing, you look for diaper count. It's the most accurate way, first day of life, at least one diaper change, 2nd day of life, at least 2 diapers, and so on, until one week old, at which point you will be needing to change 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period to know that your supply is up to par. I know NOTHING of formula, and I know this is not what you asked, but I just want to make sure you're armed with the right info (if you weren't already aware of this stuff) should you have another child and want to nurse.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Okay i use to love cafemom to help me out, but now i see what other poor moms go through when they ask something that HAS to due with their childs' health and all they do is get judged for not doing what others see is "right" I know my body, and i know that breastfeeding was not an option, and just to let you know my son is almost 7 months old, so i doubt i can retry breastfeeding! And the reason why i brought up me hving a c-section and a a second child is the fact that when i had my first child, i NEVER leaked anything and i tried breastfeeding her, and was unable to due to not producing enough! I also have medical problems and my dr adviced agaist me tryin to breastfeed my son. So much for looking for support on here. So my account will be deleted and trust me i wont EVER recommend this site to ANYONE!! Hope you all have good healthy children, since im sure NOONE on here used formula, and tht since i did my child suffers!
    Anonymous

• Good grief. You post anonymous. No one knows you history or how old your child is. No one knows if you are a first timer or not. They don't know how long you tried breastfeeding or if it was just a few days or a few weeks. For all they know your baby is only a few weeks old. There is a lot of misinformation about breastfeeding a newborn out there and those who encourage breastfeeding were trying to give help based upon that because too many women don't know and regret not knowing later. (and yes relactation is possible even at 7 months). Advice is advice. even your doctor could be wrong and sometimes they are.

You were the one who put a negative spin on it. Take the advice or leave it.

C-section babies quite often have breathing issues. You doctor should have mentioned that to you. As for the gas etc. its quite common with formula. You either find a gentler formation or relactate.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My friends daughter went through a bunch of different formula changes...the last two is all I remember..they were Alimentum and then Nutramigen. She never had a breathing problems so I don't know if they would be related. My son was breast fed frome the beginning for the first few months and then went to isomil. And go figure..it was my son that had breathing problems from the start,lol.He was diagnosed with asthma.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My sister had to go to soy based formula for her boys. I would call the Pediatrician and see if they can recommend something.

And I can't help more because I did breast fed my son, but there is NOTHING wrong with you not!! I would call the dr and get a recommendation.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2010