Please help a worried mom. 1 year old not crawling/walking/talking

I have a wonderful 1 year old. He knows his name, he smiles all the time, he reacts to things and people he sees, and he laughs all the time. But other things he is about 4 or 5 months behind on. He can rock on all 4s for a short period of time, but not for long. He can sit, but will not move from that position. He can not crawl or walk. He can stand, but not on his own. He can not sit from a standing position. He can not sit up from a laying position and can not lay from a sitting position. He can not pull himself up. When you pick him up, there is no help. His arms just are floppy and he doesn't help by lifting with his legs. Now, when he is standing, he can bounce and he loves the bouncer. He jumps in that like crazy (we just got that thinking it might help him start to walk). He also does not talk. He makes noises and babbles, but he has not association with any words.

theatregirl26

Asked by theatregirl26 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He may be getting cat and bottle but I just noticed that today.
    He also does not talk. He makes noises and babbles, but he has not association with any words. He may be getting cat and bottle (ba) but I am not sure. He does say mom (sometimes mommommom) but I think it is just a sound because it doesn't normally say it trying to get my attention.
    A little bit about Tim. He is 25 pounds. During birth his heart rate went to 60 twice (once right before he came out). He has a big sister who demands to be center of attention (we are working on that one). We both work full time (thinking maybe I am failing him and not working hard enough with him).PLEASE, if anyone has been through this, can you please let me know and give me some hints. Please don't tell me to see my doctor. I am headed there next week. I just want some ideas to talk to him about before I go in. The last time the doc said wait and see. Thoughts?
    theatregirl26

Answer by theatregirl26 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• That what I said in the second section that I couldn't fit in the first. I am next week. I am trying to get some ideas before I go in.
    theatregirl26

Answer by theatregirl26 at 7:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• With my daughter she was doing all of those before she was 1...

BUT my son didnt walk until 14 months, crawled like a week before his first b-day.... and now at 20 months is just starting to say words ( that are still kinda hard to make out)

My friend also has a son who just turned 3.... and JUST now started talking and his dr said it was ok ....
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 7:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Both of my boys had a speech delay, and did not speak until almost 3. Now, you would never know it.

Boys tend to develop language skills slower, and 2nd, 3rd, 4th babies tend to do things at a later date than the first- mainly because, as a first time mommy, we all want our little ones to do it first. And we spend more time working on things.
    Unless he is simply unaware of his surroundings, people, etc. Which is does not sound as though he is, you shouldn't worry too much. He's a big boy! he may take longer to do some things, and its perfectly normal for some children not to crawl at all, or to walk as late as 18 months. If by that point he isn't, then maybe you should begin to worry.
    It sounds like he needs to be put somewhere that he has to use his abs, and gain core strength. If he has spent time in a seat, swing, bouncer, etc. It would be normal for him to lack sore strength, and have a hard time sitting, etc.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• *core
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• ObbyDobbie, what do you suggest? Should I be doing baby sit-ups with him maybe? And yes, he did sit in a swing a lot. One of the places he liked. He cried a lot of his first year. Colic, then just fussy. He is getting better now.
    theatregirl26

Answer by theatregirl26 at 7:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• my son developed pretty early in those areas but i was going to tell you what i did to get him to crawl and walk. he was ALWAYS begging for table foods...so i bribed him. He would be on all fours in the floor doing his rocking and i would be just a few feet away from him eating my plate and i would be like "here want a bite"..it sounds cruel but hey, it worked...he came crawling right over...it worked for walking too =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• if he spent a lot of time sitting, it makes perfect sense that he just needs some exercise to build strength. I think you just answered your own question :) But I understand the worry.

Yes, situps. Lay him on his back, have him grab your fingers, then take hold of his fists and let him pull himself to sitting, then to a standing position, and then back down to sitting, and laying down.
    This is done in the nicu with preemies before they go home, to help build their little muscles.

If you google baby exercise, you'll get a ton of info. Just spend a few minutes a day working on core strength... My sisters little girl was also really colicky, and spent most of her time iin a swing- she didn't walk until she was almost 18 months, had a hard time sitting, etc. It happens, no harm, no foul, just a little exercise to fix it!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Another suggestion to get him some motivation to move- though sounds like he'll need a while to get his big boy muscles, so don't get impatient... Put him in the middle of the room with nothing to use to stand up, and place a toy in his line of sight, about 3 feet away. If he wants it, he'll work for it. That is what wound up working the best for my niece, Katie. A little motivation.

Oh, on a side note- don't feel bad, or that you have in some way failed. Every kid is different, every situation is different, and it sounds like you're doing the best you can think to do- the fact that you're concerned is proof! If you didn't care, that would make you a failure to your child, but quite the opposite, you're doing what any longing mother does, looking out for their best interest.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:58 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• *loving

Man, my pytos tonight!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2010