does castor oil work in starting labor

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• No, it just gives you the poops.
    Anonymous

• No

Answer by admckenzie at 7:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My bestfriend gave birth to both her sons by startin her labor with castor oil she mixed half bottle castor oil with sprite few hrs later baby was here
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 7:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• It doesnt work. Doctors will even tell you it doesnt work. You may think it does because you get pains and crampy but you only feel this way because you have to shit so bad.
    If someone goes in to labor after they took castor oil, its just coincidence.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• It MAY work but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT do this.

It's VERY dangerous for both mother and baby. It "works" (and I use that term loosly) by causing severe diareah which MAY (but most likely not) stimulate the uterus to contract while the bowels contract.

The problem is that it can cause the baby to release Meconium in utero which can be deadly if not taken care of in a timely manner and with the proper medical technology avaliable.

It can also cause the mother to become severely dehydrated which is VERY dangerous to a mother during labor. It can put the baby in distress and put the mother at risk of a c-section and many other medical interventions.

DO NOT DO THIS.

If you want to go into labor google. Scalini's Eggplant Parmesean Recipe. It's GUARENTEED to work and it's safe to try!
    Anonymous

• no but it will help you win 500 dollars at this pizza place in pennsylvania that gives you an hour to eat a 30 lbs pizza haha
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 8:06 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Yes, it does for about 40% of those past their due dates, I think the study I'd read says.

That doesn't make it safe, though!
    :-(
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• yes it does my mom did it and a few hours later after the poop was through she went into labor But it is not SAFE
    stacyana

Answer by stacyana at 8:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• It doesn't pass to the baby. There are no nutrients in it for your body to absorb. But don't do it. Self or medical inductions carry too many risks. It's obviously your choice but I would be too nervous to think that if something happened to my baby it was because I couldn't be patient.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 8:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• NO!

It'll just make you miserable, imagine you in labor with horrible bowls??? Possibly poo while giving birth. So if you dare try it good luck.

If you notice ANYTHING you google on methods to induce yourself.... homeopathic and all... They say it will only work when you're ready/..... somewhere near or on it. ( Meaning you'll go when you go, that these methods take credit where they can.

So weigh your options here... poop while giving birth ( google it ) or WALK to help dilate instead, with no poo/discomfort while birthing.
    Anonymous