advice please..... dont know what else to do....

how can i get my 22 month old son to stop throwin his food??? he does every single meal time, all day, every day.... i'm so frustrated because this has been happenin since he was 11 months, i thought it was a phase like my older kids, but doesn't seem to stop & he doesn't care to stop either..... its really buggin me more now with a crawlin 9 month old baby around & that i have to cleanin up the kitchen every single time he splaters foods on walls, table, stove, every where.... i really dont hav the time to be cleaning after him every single time he does it. we've tried to talk 2 him, take the food away, make him pic it up, u get what mean, but i cant get him to stop. if any of you have dealt with this please give some new ideas.... its really buggin me out because its frustatin dealin with the same issue for so long.... plus i could really save alot of time not havin to deal with a dirty kitchen 4/ 5 times a day..... help ple

curlz333

Asked by curlz333 at 7:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like he could be doing it for attention. Maybe he's jealous of the new baby? My advice is to just deal with it for a few days (or a couple weeks if necessary) and completely ignore it. Don't say anything when he does it and don't clean it up till later when he can't see you. Maybe during his mealtimes you can have the baby in a playpen or swing or something for now. Then throughout the day, make sure you give him lots of attention and praise when he's behaving really well. When he finally eats a meal without throwing food, make a big deal out of it, tell him what a big boy he is and how proud you are and give him a special treat.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 7:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• oh you poor thing - that is exhausting - first to buy yourself some time if it is nice weather where you are, put him outside for meals. Is he in a high chair? Try getting a small toddler table & make a big deal of "big boy". Do you put all his food on his plate & put it in front of him? A few meals where you take something from a central plate & eat it, then take some more might stop the habit of throwing when he's finished as he can decide when to have an empty plate. One thing that worked for my DD was a lunch box - with small snacks in it - very grownup looking, in a school backpack like her sister LOL and when she was hungry she chose a snack ( one biscuit, a stick of cheese &crackers, sliced apple, two mini meatballs, half a sandwich) & sat down on the back step to eat it. She only took one thing, & then she knew the rest was still there I know it moves away from 3 meals a day but it might also break a crappy habit.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:02 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I would give him a spanking - but if that's not you, then maybe a time out/ slap on the hand or put him in his room for a while.

He is testing you to see how far you'll let him go, and 11 mos. is pretty far, so it might tak a while to reverse.
    But the main thing is, that no matter what punishment you deside on to stand firm - be consequent. Tell him " That is NOT ok and if you do it again I will _____ (whatever punishment you choose)" and when he then does it again, you punish him.

Hope it works out, mama :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 8:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• You look him square in the eye and make him understand that behavior is not appropriate. My little son (just turned two)...used to do this. It's fun for them to watch gravity and work.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Start feeding him like a baby again he will probably not like that and then you make him understand that if he wants to feed himself he doesn't throw the food.
    Anonymous

• I use to give my kid a time out if he threw food. He would half to sit in his crib for 2 minutes, come out and pick it up, then I would put him back in the chair....and repeat.

NOW....he scoops all the food into his lap. Sweet. I'm not sure how to fix that yet.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Overcorrection. Make him clean it up and then you throw more food back down and make him clean it up again. Repeat five times or so every meal. This should make him think twice about throwing it down to begin with since he will have to clean it up five more times.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• i lov the lunch box idea that myheartx4 gave. i think it'll encourage him, its different so it could work. also the toddler table idea, i did that with the older 2 & maybe that helped them because they rarely threw food & we would make a big deal about it 2 & they loved it, so i'm probably going to purchase another one..... About Nynne's reply well i have spanked twice, but for me personally it really doesn't get me no where with him, he ends up throwing biggo fits & starts to pick fights with others if i spank him, so i actually have started to put him in time outs & when his done i make him pick up the food from the floor, but this has happened a few times & he just does all over again. & the anonymous reply well i have fed him like a baby & he hates it, he shuts his mouth shut tight. & to 2autisticsmom i will make him pick it up repeatly maybe he'll get it because i only make him pick it up once.
    curlz333

Answer by curlz333 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• hey there, I'm pleased you got some helpful answers - I don't know how you can 'make' a 22mth old pick up anything LOL they are so stubborn, and at that stage of development when you really aren't sure how much they understand - very Frustrating. I did the lunch box for my toddlers each time we brought a new baby home - it really cut out that moment when you just sit down to feed the baby and the 2yr old wants a drink or food and it makes them feel grownup- Good Luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 5:46 PM on Jun. 3, 2010