i read all the time that if you don't know what your

doing you shouldn't be breeding dogs? ok i'm not saying people should be breeding with all the dog over population but i think it's silly to say something like this to open someones eyes to open this problem cause frankly those people who breed dogs at one point didn't know how. it's not as if your born with this knowledge, right. so my question is isn't this a silly statement to make? would someone expect that a person who isn't an experienced breeder or what not, not ask for help? or advice?! this problem is somewhat like the drug problem here in the U.S. and all over the world. this is just something that will never get resolved or controlled. it's so sad too really.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Pets

• um, ok your question didn't really make a bit of sense, but i think i know what you're getting at. i think a better way to learn how to be a breeder would be to work for a (reputable) breeder and learn what to do and how to do it, etc. ..... not by trial and error. you're dealing with living creatures, it's not like you're trying to teach yourself how to cook or something small like that. imo when you're dealing with living creatures you should know what you're doing beforehand..... not learn from your mistakes bc usually those mistakes will involve lives being lost.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:55 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• It's not about learning how to get to dogs to screw. It's about learning about the breed standards, what is and what isn't a good example so those traits have a better chance of being passed on to the pups, about keeping the mother healthy, what vaxes need to be done and when, etc etc etc. Those things need to be learned beforehand not "on the job".

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Its also about making sure your dogs are healthy, well bred specimens themselves before getting them to produce puppies.

Reputable breeders just didn't decide one day to get a male dog and a female dog and make them do the nasty.

They mentored under other breeders, they watched, learned, read and researched.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 8:40 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I agree w/ the previous answers. But I still have to climb up on my soapbox and state that I LOATHE people who breed animals for money. Millions of wonderful dogs are euthanized in shelters every year, and people continue to purposely breed, just because some people HAVE to have a purebred. It makes me sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jun. 3, 2010