neighbor troubles

One of our neighbors is causing problems in the neighborhood for our 8 y/o daughter. Neighbors son accuses our dd of calling him names and saying she hates him. She is not a mean child and has to be really angry/ticked off to say something like that to someone. I know this boy is not all innocent like his mom thinks,I have seen him. The mom is now telling all the other neighborhood kids not to play with our dd because she will be mean to them. The mom comes over and tattles on our dd if she is at their house,which she is no longer allowed to do. They have been here about 6 years and we have only been here about 6 months,so making friends is hard for her,and this person is making it worse. I am so mad at the neighbor,I could slap her and her son. What would you do? I don't want to be nasty,but she is hurting my dd by her immature actions and has gone too far.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You know, it's quite possible the other neighbors already know this woman for what she is. Invite some of them over for play dates. Truth will out. It always does.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• How do you know that she is telling the other neighborhood kids not to play with dd? I would ignore it. Get dd out there on her bike, maybe take a walk around the block with her every night now that its summer. Do you have a pet? Take the pet along too. Children will be out playing,,everywhere. Talk to other moms who are out and say hey. Let dd talk to the other kids. Maybe offer an invite for the kids to play together. See what im saying. If you get in moms face she is going to get more agressive. Walk around this issue and stop it in its tracks. It might be good for you too, you can meet other neighbors and dd can have more one on one time with other kids, hopefully girls around her age. I say that, cause I grew up in a neighborhood with all boys. lol
    Anonymous

• I had neighbor problems.and my husband spent more time down the street drinking beer, than with us.And one of my neighbors threatened me and then called cps.I couldn't live where I had to worry about my son's safety.We sold our house and moved.but it all worked out for the best.We live in a great quiet neighbor hood.and got a heck of a deal on the house.Maybe it may be best to move and not know your neighbors so well.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 9:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• evely, move b/c of something as stupid as this? CPS isnt involved here. Its just one over protectivef mom, there are tons of them out there! We cant run everytime some goof ball neighbor makes a judgement call on our kid. Hell, my son had problems with the neighbor kids when he was 4. They said he was too agressive in play. Ok, no biggie, he didnt go down there to play anymore. I got him a big wheel and he turned into a speed demon. Hooked up with boys his own age on the other side of the street and it was all good. I wouldnt move b/c of one stupid neighbor, I stick to my original idea of getting dd out there and involved.
    Anonymous

• I had neighbor like that and she treated me like crap it sounds dumb but my mom started to take me to the library and other places where I could make friends. I had to just ignore her and as easy as that is said is as hard it is. I would address her why does she feel the need to come after your 8 year old? She is probably territorial like that lady who was picking on me.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 9:43 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• have your daughter play in her yard instead of in the neighborhood. its safer anyways than being out in the streets.
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 2:20 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I would ttly ignore her maybe she don't have a life of her own so she's making urs miserable by tattling on dd then spreading thru the neighborhood ur child is mean..sounds like a trouble maker to me...I know a lady like that in this neighborhood she's completly rude and jumps down anyone's throat for anything I cannot stand her I make sure my kids stay clear of her and her kid and go about my life seriosly?!? Why in heck should I stop my life for someone like this?
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Personally I wouldnt worry about it. If truly becomes an issue where the kids in the neighborhood won't/don't play with DD, I would get her involved in some sort of extra curricular where she can meet other new kids and make more friends. Eventually the other kids should come around, but if not, its their loss.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:00 PM on Jun. 3, 2010