Are you a "tanorexic?"

A story to check out: "That Not-So-Healthy Glow: The Dangers Of Tanning"

Here's an excerpt from the interviewee: "I called myself a tanorexic, because I would look into the mirror and never see myself as dark as other people would see me."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127349804

Asked by gdiamante at 9:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I probably am.I guess there are worst things I could do.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 9:17 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Nope! I'm pale and proud!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• i enjoy tanning but i always wear an spf 15 moisturizer and only go twice a week for 10 min at a time...i like a nice golden glow but i'd never tan so much that i got brown and scaly
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Nope I am pretty pale. I personally think some tans look really disgusting, especially on people my complexion.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I think I fit that category. And my BIL's mom is 10 times worse than me. She is so tan that it looks RIDICULOUS and yet she keeps going every single day. She also has real blonde hair too and she weighs a good 200+ pounds so that doesn't help either. I have been tanning since I was a freshman in high school. I tan in the winter, spring, fall, and even summer. I just don't have the time to lay out in the regular sun. I think I look 100 times better when I'm tan than when I'm pale. If I'm not tan, I wear long sleeves and pants so no one can see my skin. I think I look fatter pale too. I know how bad it is for you...my mom actually works for a dermatologist. But its like my brain doesn't even care.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:30 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I use sunless tanner, I think I look hot tan lol
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 9:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• between fibro pain, and rosacea *which the sun has been helping! YAY!) I spend a bit of time in it every week, it feels good- but the intent isn't to get crispy. I actually looked in the mirror the other day and was shocked to see that I have a tan. First time in years. But it's not priority one, easing discomfort is.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• No way..
    Tanning Beds- No way even as a teen I only went a few times & I didnt feel right doing it.. Beauty is only so important but not more important than my health..
    Sun Tanning- I slightly layout but not even weekly or monthly. And havent did that since Junior High.. I have a decent normal tan after a while from being outside swimming & stuff..
    Tans look nice but when you over do its nasty IMO.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• what is the opposite of tanorexic??? i actually get a rash if i get even a little sun... so i am snow white pale... with freckles... and dark hair
    its like i am allergic to the sun... i go out in the sun and we do outside activities but even a teeny tiny bit of sun and i am an itchy mess!!! i guess if i get color, tan but no pink i am ok... it is weird and haven't had a dr diagnose me yet... though i have gone and got a rx for the rash
    chiana

Answer by chiana at 1:57 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• i used to be until i caught a fungus from the tanning salon bc they were not sanitary so yeah throwed the brakes to my behind lol but i love tanning..i miss it so badly but i rather be white than have a cow print skin with or without a tan!
    Anonymous