Should I be concerned that she is not talking yet?

My daughter reached the 18 month mark yesterday, and she still does not speak clear, recognizable words. Every once in a while, she might mimic a simple word like "no", and sometimes she signs "eat" and says "ee", but that's it. She has always been ahead of the curve in development, except for this. Understand, I am not one of those who gets worried if my daughter's milestones don't match up exactly with the development chart on the doctor's office wall. She is an only child, and I a stay-at-home mother, so I suppose she really has no need to ask for things because her needs are met promptly. It is obvious she wants to communicate though, because she babbles in a tone and with facial expressions that sound and look like she thinks she is holding a conversation....but no "real" words come out.

KarmicChild

Asked by KarmicChild at 9:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was/is the same way, and he'll be 2 next Monday. He shakes his head "No" when he doesn't understand, and he knows quite a bit of words, but he understands them more when I ask him, instead. Like... "Where's your cup? Give me your cup." but he won't say cup, you know? My son is also very vocal and wants to talk, and uses lots of gestures and facial expressions too.
    I've been told that it's all normal, and it may have to do with his prematurity as well, but one day, you'll wake up, and they'll be talking in full on sentences.
    Don't stress, she'll be awesome... soon, you'll be begging for the days of peace and quiet. :P
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I am sure you are right, but it just worries me. It probably wouldn't if, like I said before, she had not been so ahead in everything else (she was walking before she was 10 months old, for example). It is obvious that she understands what we say. Maybe it really is just a simple case of not needing to talk since I am always there and she has no sibling competition for attention.
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 10:01 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My nephew didn't talk until 2. If you asked him where a dog was, he would point to it. He understood everything, but just didn't talk a lot. Are you a quiet person? Him and he mom are quiet people. He isn't quiet anymore! He is 5 now and it smart as hell. Not in kindergarten yet and can read and do double digit math.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Have you had her hearing tested?Or maybe lots of earinfections?If her hearing is tested and she can hear,I woldn't worry about it too much.As long as it seems that she understands you.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 10:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• My son does the same thing and we're having his development checked as well as his hearing and vision. I'm a stay at home mom, he's an only child, I read to him constantly, we do flashcards, we talk all the time but nothing in English comes out. It's not a bad thing to be proactive. If there is a problem the sooner you correct it the better, if nothing is wrong at least you didn't let something go.
    mrsjonzy

Answer by mrsjonzy at 11:26 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Her hearing seems to be fine, and I am definitely not a quiet person! :)
    Her 18 month check-up is today, and I plan to voice my concerns. She has always been a very observant child, so maybe she just doesn't feel like talking.
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 7:21 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• There's no harm in having a developmental evaluation done if you have any concerns. Early intervention will do it for free, and if they find no delays then at least your fears are put to rest and they can give you some ideas on how to encourage her speech along. If they do find a delay, then you have a jumpstart on getting her speech therapy (which is provided free of charge) and she can catch up quickly.

Answer by missanc at 7:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2010