how far can you be dilated and sent home?

dexbryj10

Asked by dexbryj10 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• if you're not having contractions and your water hasn't broken yet it doesn't matter
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:04 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• ^What she said... Dilation means nothing if you aren't contracting or haven't had your water break.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Princess is right. If you are dialted but not in labor, they'll send you home regardless. If you are in actual labor and if your water hasn't broken, I believe if you are less than 3 cms dialted they will send you home.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• ** Water breaking doesn't mean Labor either...

It usually accompanies labor, but not always (10% have PROM).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:57 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Dilation has nothing to do with actual labor, but most hospitals will admit you if you are around 4 to 5 cms dilated.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 11:03 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I was dialated 3 cms for a month and they wouldnt admit me until my water broke and i was 4 cms then they admit me
    mommyohmy

Answer by mommyohmy at 11:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• ^^ Yep, what they said. My childbirth instructor told us she once had a woman in one of her 8 week classes who dilated 1 cm per week. She started at 0 cm, and by the last week, she was walking around at 7 cm. dilated. She stayed at 7 cm. for about 2 weeks before having the baby at 41 weeks gestation (natural labor, no induction).
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 12:22 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I remember a client who was at 3 and in the hospital in ACTIVE labor for a day & a half. :-(
    She was checked and then went into the bathroom to labor on the toilet ( a favorite!! ) ~~40 minutes later had a nice hospital waterbirth!!
    :-D

So I have seen it be the opposite, too!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:35 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Depends on the hospital, the situation, and the doctor. Some doctors will induce you if you come in 3cm dilated and aren't having other labor symptoms. (I don't believe this is good practice AT ALL.) Some hospitals require you to be 3, 4 or 5 centimeters dilated and having regular contractions. Most hospitals will keep you if your water's broken even if there are no other labor symptoms. It depends on the situation, the doctor and the hospital.
    Gruntlings

Answer by Gruntlings at 10:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2010