Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not complying with court order help.. divorce/ house ?

my ex & I divorced 9/9/08 I quitclaimed my rights of the house to him & he took full responsibility for the house & all its bills including the mortgage. he was supposed to sell it at full market value or refinance it after 2.5 years. well he is falling behind in payments & now wants to have a short sell.

the bank says this will effect my credit, what can I do?

Answer Question

Asked by maiahlynn at 10:24 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Relationships

Level 13 (1,143 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • i would take it to the court. if it is a court order then he has to comply. also if it should have been all transferred to his name. i would also take to divorce decree with that info to the bank and let them know you are not the responsible party any longer and they can not hold you liable.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • I did the same thing. My x let them foreclose and it did NOT affect my credit. The bank is just saying that to get you to give them their money.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • if you have legal documents saying its not your house, then it shouldnt touch you at all. But you can go to your local curcuit clerk and request a court date for oyu and ex, then bring it to the judge. if its just that you wont need a lawyer, and any one can do it. credit reports are weird tho, so while its not supposed to be on there, it could show up someplace later-so go to court to make him comply.

    Answer by Bearsjen at 11:25 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

  • I dug up my old real estate text. A quitclaim deed means you've relinquished all interest in the house. You have no responsibility at's all on him.

    Answer by gdiamante at 1:39 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.