How many hours do you take per semester?

Of college credits that is. I want to go full time but even 12 hours seems like a lot when looking after 2 young kids all day and going to class nights and weekends.

So how do you do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I worked full-time (usually over 40), took around 16-18 credits per semester, and had my dd who was between 5-9. You have to be 100% dedicated and committed to the lifestyle change if you want to do what I did. I don't want to scare you because education is so important but you have to know your limits and have complete support from you husband.
    I did my associates completely online, which saved me a ton of time because I didn't have to travel to school and I could "attend" class after my dd went to bed. I transfered to a University and took 1 class at night, a 4 hr class every Saturday, and the rest were online.
    I graduated last May!
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:54 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• i took 12 credits a semester. i only have one young child. my mom helped me alot. she would come over & take care of my son if i had a big report to write, or a big test to study for. she was around ALOT, but she wasnt always available and it was tough sometimes, but if you want to do it, youll do it. its really not that bad. depends on what classes your taking too.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:38 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I only have an 11 month old daughter and just graduated in May! Last fall when she was only 3 months old I took 15 credits, but I had a babysitter for class time and waited until my daughter was asleep to do homework. Towards the end of the semester when there are tons of exams and papers I would get help from my mother so I could study and write. In the spring I took 12 ... two lab classes worth 4 credits a piece, a 3 credit normal class, and a 1 day a week 1 credit class. Again I used a babysitter for most of my class time and utilized my mother in the evenings :) It's a lot of work and your head will hurt a lot, but it's soo worth it!!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Congrats Kaylan! I have a 3 year old and 1 year old and I don't want to put them in daycare so I'll be trying to go nights and weekends or online as much as I can. It's been 10 years since I set foot in a college and I've forgotten pretty much everything. Plus, times have changed, I have changed and circumstances have changed lol.

Glad to know it's doable! We don't have parents around but maybe friends can help us sometimes :) Thanks ladies!
    Anonymous

• I have thirteen credit hours for fall
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• i had 120 hrs in one semester, with 2 kids, aged 2 and at the time 6 months.
    Anonymous

• Back in 1999 I worked part time, had 3 young children, my husband was deployed, and I was in college full time during the days. When it came time for my internship, I was still able to work their hours during the days and keep my part time job.
    I did have to pay for child care from my earnings, which is why I worked, but it was so worth it for my degree!
    I am back in college now working on my third degree and I am taking 12 credits per semester so that I am not overwhelmed. My daughters are now older (21 y/o with a baby, 18 y/o graduating from HS, and 16 y/o in HS) so it is a LOT easier. I am currently unemployed looking for part time employment, but my recent disability has me limited so it's a bit of a frustration really.
    Husband has finished with the military and is now working for a government law enforcement agency so we get to see him more often, which is very nice.
    You can do it with planning. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:34 AM on Jun. 3, 2010