Umbilical Cord

My son is now 2 weeks old and his cord looks funny to me! When discharged we went home with the clamp on because it was still moist, went back when we were told to have it removed and it looked alright. Then it started getting pretty bloody, when the stump fell off it bled and didn't really look like it was ready to come off, although the pediatrician said at his 1 week before it fell off that it looked ok. Now he's 2 weeks and it's still bloody and when he crys hard it seems like you can see a little hole in it. I'm making sure to keep it clean but am concerned. Going to call the ped again in the morning just wondering what everyone thinks, thanks!

kenzsmama

Asked by kenzsmama at 10:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my second son was like that. he probably has a small hernia and when he cries the intestines are just opening the hole back up. keep it clean and it will just take longer to heal that's all.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:34 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Call the doc,better to be safe than sorry, sound not right
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• my daughter has always had a hernia. she is 20 months and still has one. when she needs to poo, her button sticks out really far. lol i think she will have a outie. call your doc just to have it checked but i think if it is not red or hot and there is no temp he is prob fine. congrats are your new baby!!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 10:41 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• if you touch it with your finger and it hurts something is wrong and you need to get him to a doctor.
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 2:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2010