Do you spank your child?

Why or why not?
We do believe in spanking... No not beating: we only swat on the bottom not the legs or anywhere else...
If you are COMPLETELY against spanking please share what works for you. I really hate spaking but time out doesn't work, and taking their favorite things doesn't work...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• i did once and she looked at me as if I had broke her heart. Here I am supposed to love her and I was abusing her (that's how it felt). time outs do work for us because I started them very early on (18 months) and have been consistant. Also she is very strong willed but so am I and I don't care where we are, she gets a time out and I don't have a problem letting her throw a fit in the store, I am the mom and I will not allow her actions to make me leave or alter what I need to get done during that day.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• no. my son is only 25 months old anyways. too young for such harsh discipline. I was never spanked as a child and dont plan on spanking my child nor will I let anyone spank my child.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:11 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I got spanked when i was younger, any where too..and i have to say i am a very well rounded person. taught me how to be good. hardly ever got in trouble at school or anything. and i do spank my dd. ill raise her the same way i was raised bcuz i think i was raised by a good mom.
    Anonymous

• I sure do. We still use other discipline measures, but in some cases spanking is the best option. Now, I was BEAT, and there is a HUGE difference between spanking and beating, I firmly believe that if you are spanking, you aren't doing anything wrong and it's beneficial for the child in the long run... While beating is abuse...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• NO i refuse to ever spank my children. children dont misbehave for the sake of misbehaving, they misbehaving because they just dont understand. read a psychology book - children run on the ID and the EGO, they work on the pleasure principle - they do not have the capablitiy of really understanding consquences yet - they just seek pleasure no matter what. i just think its wrong to cause physical harm to ANYONE, especially my child of all people. i would try kindness first. explaining softly and kindly WHY they cant do or have what they are wanting, tell them how much you love them and why. keep trying time outs, keep taking things away.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:12 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I spank when everything else fails.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• i only do it for major issues
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:19 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I do spank. I don't believe it is right for every child. Some kids just need a talking to. I was like that. My oldest doesn't get spanked a lot because she is like me. I think that some times kids need that physical thing to re afferm what you are trying to get across. I think once a child knows what "no" means than it is ok to spank. I know a lot of people think that is wrong but I am not saying to spank all the time. Example. My 9 month old who is walking started to try to pull the outlet covers out. That is dangerous. So I spanked her (lightly just enough to show her its bad) and told her "No". She hasn't touched them since.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 11:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Only if they did something really bad, or after being told to do or not doing something twice. We believe in this because it was the only method of discipline that worked for us.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I did but my child has pretty much out grown the spankings. She is very well behaved and on the rare occasion that she needs discipline we use other methods.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:29 PM on Jun. 2, 2010