Which shift would you choose

My husband starts college back up inAugust and we are trying to figure out the work and school thing. We are having our second child in October.

The first job he was offered is monday thru thursday nights from 8pm to 7am. He would have to go right to school from work and get home at 1pm to sleep until work that night. The pay is more for this job than the next,.

The second job is just at a regular wal mart where he probably will get random hours and work weekends(which i dislike) i love having weekends together

With the first option we could pay our bills and have about 300 a month leftover. With the second job we would be making our bills but no fun money or anything other than surviving bills. The second job is way easier than the first job(very physical) and I would have to be alone at night with our kids.
What would you choose? And no, he does not want me to work--he wants to work but we just cant decide which

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• thats a tough one. my SO works overnight and it SUCKS. i hate it. he gets so grumpy, and he sleeps all day. i feel like i never see him. and hes so tired. but he makes more money. it really depends on if your SO can handle working overnight or not. its really a whole lifestyle change that your body is probably never going to get used too. and you will have to get used to sleeping without him. he will probably fall asleep in school, or fail class because he will be so tired when he goes. but i hear you on the weekend thing .. and the money thing. so i really dont know what you should do. but after my experience with an SO working overnight, i wouldnt really recommend it.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I would say it's up to him....he'll be juggling school and work at the same time and it's a hard thing to do...especially if he's going back fulltime. My husband is in a nursing program and we're still trying to figure out the work thing.
    Anonymous

• Yea, right now he is working 2 night jobs 7 days a week and it TOTALLY sucks.he is trying to save money to get his car fixed so I can have mine back. I just cannot decide and he is the same as me. Extra money is nice but is it worth it? But at the same time I am tired of barely getting by
    Anonymous

• I would chose the later! There will be plenty of fun times, etc. after he gets his degree.
    Anonymous

• Do which one works for your marriage and family best. I think the one with weekends off. But when will he study?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I would say keep looking. Just because working nights is very tough been there done that, and working weekends sucks too - again been there done that. I'm also in school and it can hurt him big time. But again its whatever he feel comfortable with. I would keep looking. =} Good Luck!!
    rosadnr

Answer by rosadnr at 11:32 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• Well the first job is going to drain him so bad. If its a hard job he will be tired then have to go to school! I am tired just reading that. I may opt for the easier job and not to be rude but you may need to sacrifce weekends till her finishes school since he is sacrificing so you can stay home. With you having a new baby I get that it would be hard for you to work but I went to school with a guy who worked FT and went to school and he was a zombie! I felt bad for him...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Jun. 3, 2010