Is my ex a bad father for not fighting my moving?

We live in Houston right now. I want to move to Waco which is like 3 hours away. And he's OK with it. He said he has thought about moving and it wouldn't be fair to not let me. He could still see him every other weekend and more often if he wanted. But my best friend says that he just doesn't care about our son bc he's not fighting me. And she's implied that I'm always at fault for trying to keep them apart. But that's not it. I just need a fresh start. I've lived here my whole life.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Jun. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• you're not moving to africa..... it's still pretty close so i don't think bad of him for letting you go.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:44 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I would be more incliined to think of him as a bad father if he tried to keep you from doing something that would better your life and his childs. As long as they still see each other and have a relationship then no he is not a bad father. He could say no, take you to court to try and keep you there or try to get custody.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 11:48 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• I;m from Houston. It's huge, why not move to another suburb so the kids aren't 3 hours from their father?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:49 PM on Jun. 2, 2010

• OP- bc I hate all of Houston. And the only apt I'm going to be able to afford here is in a scary place. Actually most of Houston is scary. Unless you're rich.
    Anonymous

• Your friend is an idiot!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• In december I moved back to my home town of Washington, DC from Atlanta, GA and my daughters father did not stop me. He couldnt. I was going to do what I wanted to do. We made a visitation schedule and stuck with it. I just recently moved back for other reasons but I didnt think anything less of him for not stopping me. I needed that new start, that fresh air, that change and he knew that. He loves his daughter the same and I know that.
    Tell your friend to mind her own business. Thats between you and him not you, him and her. And 3 hrs isnt far.
    lilmsnay83

Answer by lilmsnay83 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• As long as you aren't trying to move away from him in order to keep the kids from him what right does he have to stop you from moving? None and no I wouldn't think of him as any less of a father for not trying to stop you. It's not like you're moving across the country and as long as both of you uphold the visitation agreement I don't see what its hurting. Your friend needs to mind her own business.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 12:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Sounds to me like he is a good dad. He is letting you go so that you can be happy and get that fresh start. If mommys happy the child is happy and it sounds like he knows that.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 12:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Your friend just wants to start drama where you don't need any. If the two of you get along, and he is still willing to make a trip to see his child...why the hell do you want a fight?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• i htink its fine . y would u whanna go fighing for anyway u know. he just sounds understanding to me
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 6:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2010