Why is a baby considered a baby if you have a miscarriage but not if you have an abortion?

A miscarriage at 10-12 weeks = loss of a baby
Abortion at 10-12 weeks = clump of cells

What the heck kind of logic is that?? I really don't understand this one..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i have no clue either! makes no sense to me...
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 12:21 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I think people use the lump of cells theory to justify abortion. It is a baby either way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• What another woman chooses to do isn't anyone else's business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• It's what it is to the mother. I've had two miscarriages, one at 6w and one at 12w and in both cases I mourned the loss of my baby. My sister had an abortion (don't know how many weeks), but neither she, nor I mourned it as a loss. I know some people will see it just as semantics, but really to me it's all about the intention of the mother.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• To make the mother having the miscarriage feel better, like someone acknowledges her pain. If we considered them what they are (a lump of cells) sympathy would be hard for a mother grieving a miscarriage and an emotional time would become harder. Lots of women identify with their children when they're only weeks along. As far as abortion they call it what it is, a lump of cells because that's what it is, unless they're having one when they're further along which should be illegal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• it's just used as a justification to make the abortion seem "okay"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Looks like we're beating the hell out of that dead horse again.............
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:39 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I would also like to know it is not murder when a woman aborts but if another person causes her unborn baby to die in any trimester then they are convicted of murder?
    Why is abortion so protected?
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Call it a lump of cells if you want, but if you don't mess with that lump of cells ...it will be a baby. I think abortion is disgusting.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:05 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Actually, the medical term is "products of conception" before the age of viability (in the USA 23 weeks post conception date per NRP and AMA guidelines.) This term is used both for miscarriage and abortion.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jun. 3, 2010