Is holding your 3 year olds nose closed while giving him oral meds okay?

Since my son would not take his oral meds i started to hold his noise closed and it seems like it works but he crys n its scary is this safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Seems like it would make him choke.Try holding your nose closed while drinking some water.Kind of hard to do.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I would not do it. It sounds scary. He probably feels like he is drowning. I think it may also make him very reluctant to take medication.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• the nurse at urgent care did this to my daughter because it makes a reflex go off for them to swallow? IDK. i worked though. it doesnt harm them
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• It can be very dangerous - if the kid takes a breath while you're shooting the meds in they can inhale the meds, rather than swallow them. Which, in turn, could - it would be very unlikely but COULD - lead to dry drowning, pneumonia, all kinds of lung issues. Don't force meds in that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• ah anonymous i never thought of that. i dont do that to her btw the nurse did do it once though.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• My 3 year old son won't take medicine unless we give it to him in a dropper. Maybe you can try using a different device to give him his medicine.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• just mix the liquid with some apple sauce(flavored is a good bet) or ice cream, I have a friend who mixes the stuff with a teaspoon of chocolate syrup. doing this will not change the effectiveness of the medicine
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• We had to do this with my daughter. She has been on medication for Epilepsy, High blood pressure, Acid Reflux and Esphogitis, since she was an infant (now is 4 and has been swallowing pills for a year). It is a very difficult thing to do but in instances where they NEED to have the meds but continuously spit it out, you gotta do what you gotta do! It worked for us. But we actually had to have a feeding tube in place when she was 1 year old and that was awesome since I could give all meds through that and nothing by mouth. What kind of medicine is it that you need to give to him? You can ask your pharmacist for any other ideas.
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:08 AM on Jun. 4, 2010