is it safe to re-paint a crib?

our crib has been sitting in the garage for a few years & it could use a new paint job. i'm planning on using it for my 2 month old son but i'm worried about the chemicals & fumes. would it be safe to paint it over? can i spray paint it or do i need to use a special paint? and how soon after can it be used? thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make sure you scrape the original paint off as much as possible and sand it all down to prevent loose flecks.

They choose paint that is NOT lead-based. Best to choose a water-based rather than oil-based paint to assist the fumes issue.

Wait until dry...and if possible allow to dry in fresh air (ie. outside in the back garden rather than the garage).

Some nice fresh bedding and away you go!!!

Have fun!

http://www.preemiebabyhelp.com/
    JenniferLMiller

Answer by JenniferLMiller at 3:17 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yes... I would let it air out a little before I brought it into the babies room. I have repainted my crib twice. I used a brush and paint not spray paint because the spray paint can get all over the hardware and look bad. I wouldn't worry about it if you let it air out so it doesnt stink up the room. Good luck and happy painting!
    MaryMary29

Answer by MaryMary29 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• do it outside. use latex paint. its safe. i would ask the person you buy the paint from for any advice. dont rush to put the crib in the house. wait a day or two after it has dried. fumes you know
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 2:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2010