Does anybody have any tips on getting your baby to walk?

My son just turned 1 last month and Ive made some progress. But he is lazy and just tries to sit down whenever Im trying to get him to walk. He can stand for maybe 10 seconds or more but he wont take any steps.

Heather_Estes

Asked by Heather_Estes at 12:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He will walk when he is ready. Nature will tell him he should be standing. My son walked at 10 months, my daughters walked at 14m, 18m and 15m. You could get him one of those push things or walk with him holding his hands. It will happen soon enough.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Leave the kid alone! Babies walk when they're ready, and frankly, the more you push a kid to do something, the longer they'll resist and not do it. My 4th didn't walk and didn't walk and didn't walk, and when we finally gave up trying to get him to walk he started, and hasn't stopped moving since. He was 17 months old. Quit trying to make him walk, he'll do it when he's good and ready!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Hes' not lazy! Not all kids are walking at 1. Give it some time and if he still isnt showing interest in a few months bring it up to his pediatrician
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 1:17 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• he's not lazy! he's a boy. they just develop slower hello havent you heard about peuberty. same rules apply. me and my sis were walking at 9 mo. my step daughter at 10 mo. her half brother, 15 months. its just the sex. but what i have heard is younger babies develop faster because they are touched more. it helps to develop muscle strength. crazy i know but apparently very real. be a lil more hands on with him, it could help.
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 1:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• He's already doing it. Just keep doing what you have been.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Everyone told me my daughter would walk when she was ready and I thought they were crazy..but she didn't make hardly any progress until one day she was probably 13 months she just got up and started going...haven't been able to stop her since. It's true when they are ready they will just take off!
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 1:43 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I got one of these for DS.

http://toddlerstoys.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/playskool-step-start-walk-n-ride-push-toy-for-toddlers.jpg

I quit sitting on the floor with him, and he learned to pull himself up to the toy and then the couch. Next, he started "cruising." (holding onto the edges of things or the walls to brace himself and scooted along) Within a week of figuring out he could push the little car toy, he was walking on his own. I can't imagine DS being 18mo and not walking... but at 12 or 13, I think it's pretty ok. Just give the weetle one time, he'll come around! ; )
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 7:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Leave him alone, he'll walk when he's ready. He's not lazy.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Don't be in such a hurry once they start your life will never be the same!

Answer by older at 8:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• he will walk when hes ready. same with potty training. boys do take longer to mature. i did see something the other day at childrens physical therapy. the teacher was helping a child walk by putting him in center of hula hoop and letting him hold the side as she held a side and walked him. might be an idea for you in a few months. wait at least till hes 1 to assist him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Jun. 3, 2010