what to do with the cord

i had my heart set on donating my daughters umbilical cord so that someone who really needs it can get it. but the state i live in does not offer cord donation. you can bank the cord and keep it if your child needs it later on but i can't afford that. i really don't want to throw it away knowing it could save someones life. i highly doubt that there are no leukemia patients in the same hospital that could use the umbilical cord blood. what do i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Your only option is cord blood banking but you said you can't afford that soo... There really isn't much more to do.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 1:15 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I see those commercials that recommend that we save our cord blood just in case. Is it covered under insurance? I have never even thought about the price of keeping cord blood
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I've heard of people freezing it in their own freezers.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Sara; It won't be used if someone stores it in their own personal freezer. So they're just wasting their time. It has to be frozen a certain way, at certain temps, etc..
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 11:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2010