What do you think about what California is thinking about doing now?

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- It could soon cost California shoppers at the checkout if they forget to bring their own bag to the grocery store.

Legislation passed Wednesday by the California Assembly would prohibit grocery stores, pharmacies, liquor stores and convenience stores from giving out plastic bags. It would also charge customers for using store-issued paper bags.

If signed into law, California would be the first state to impose a statewide ban.

The ban's goal is to get rid of unsightly plastic bags that often wind up in urban rivers and the ocean, as well as reduce the number of bags heading for landfills.

A spokesman for Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said the Republican governor supports a plastic bag ban. The bill, AB 1998, still needs Senate approval.

I think in THEORY it's a good idea about the plastic bags, but I think they should give out recycled bags then. Some people can't afford it.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:28 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• :( I live in CA.... and I would be completley all for stores not using plastic bags, but why not just providing paper bags? I don't have any bags because we can;t afford it, otherwise I would just bring our own bags, but we do not waste any plastic bags we use.... we always find a use for them.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:35 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• In theory its a good idea but what about people that forget? I know Aldi's does that already
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• lots of us use reusable shopping bags. we are a very eco friendly state. its no suprise to me. but i would hate it because i never remember to take the bags to the store even tho i have 3 which is basically all i would need for shopping trips. and i got all my bags for free! so i cant complain for any reason other than negligence would cost me money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• aldis has always done this and people seem to be just fine with it. I think if they are going to make it a law they have to give people a cheap alternative, like cloth bags you can purchase for very cheap, like 50 cents, to reuse. I see the reusables for about a dollar, but again since its a law, it needs to be cheap. I would miss them tho because I use them for so much around my house!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I doubt it will make it all the way through. But I started keeping reusable bags in my car more than a year ago. And most of them, I got for free. Whenever you go to a street fair, someone is giving them away. A lot of stores were giving them away on Earth Day, too.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• hope people realize that many stores do charge a nickel per bag if you dont bring your own bags. target for one. i know ive seen others too

i got my bags at super bowl souvenir shops and job fairs for free
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 1:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Target does not charge per bag. They take off five cents for every bag you bring in.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I thought they did this, like, a year ago?????
    Steph_reynolds

Answer by Steph_reynolds at 1:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I worked for target and they do NOT charge for bags.and actually I just IM'd my friend who is in upper management/human resources for them and she said nope they sure dont.and she works at there headquarters up north.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I really wish this doesn't become a law.....what bags would I put in my bathroom trash?
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:03 AM on Jun. 3, 2010