If you spank, at what age did you start spanking?

I was reading responses from another spanking question just now and it seems that some people are spanking at entirely too young of an age. I'm not trying to be judgmental, but that's just how I feel. What age did you start spanking? When is too young? Also, when do you think is too old to spank?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 1:41 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I believe any spanking before 2 1/2 -3, is wrong. You should be able to discuss a spanking with a child, and know they understand, before every using spanking as a form of discipline.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:52 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• First spank was at about 18 months. But shes 2.5 now and has never had like a spank...The only thing she's had so far is like a pat... like a tap. A real spank probably not until 5-6..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• No spankings, ever. I was abused as a kid and I made a decision to never spank my babies. They are now almost adults and tower over me. Good kids too, even without the spankings
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• 2
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Whenever you tell a child no, and he/she looks at you and goes ahead and does it anyway, the time to spank has arrived. The sooner you begin, the fewer times it will ever have to be done. The idea is to convince your child that your "no" means "no" and there are consequences for disobedience to the person who is in authority over you. Right now, it's you, the parent, but later on, it will be the teacher, the principal, the policeman, or whoever gives you instruction.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:31 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I agree with NannyB.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• A spank is nessacary at 2.5 and older when the situation is extreme, like cursing, or running in the street after repeated instruction!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 3, 2010