Extended Rear facing Moms....

How long do you plan to rear face? What seat do you have and what are the limits? I'm very curious to find out the highest weight limit for a seat and it's quality. I thought I would turn my daughter at 2, but she will be 2 in a month and I'm going to wait. Her seat rear faces until 35lbs and she is only 28lbs, so I think I will definitely wait until at least Christmas time. It is easier to think of it in 6 month increments...lol. I just want her to be as safe as possible. Her feet barely touch the back seat, she doesn't mind rear facing (she doesn't know anything different) and so I think it would be silly not to continue rear facing until she exceeds the limits on the seat. Do any other mothers have a limit on erf? Maybe at 2 they turn? No bashing please. This is not for drama. If you choose not to erf........that's fine with me, not my child. I'm only asking for feedback from other erf moms. Thanks.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 2:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD is only 20 months, but I plan on ERF her until she's 35lbs. Even if she's 4 by that time.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 2:06 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• max is 35, i plan to wait as long as possible and then upgrade to a booster. mine is 4 mo and 16 lbs.
    coralbeth

Answer by coralbeth at 2:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I turned my baby at 2. I had planned to rear face her longer but she is so tall she was so crowded. She is 24pounds. the doctor said rear face her till 2 but since she is small I wanted to longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• mine's only a year, I plan to rear face her for....not quite sure yet, she's small so probably longer than 2. Her car seat goes rear facing for 45 lbs so right around there. After watching the crash test videos of what happens to kids forward facing vs rear facing I want her rear facing for as long as possible!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Well, in the US the highest rearfacing seat is the Sunshine Kids Radian XLT. It goes to 45lbs rear facing. I plan on rearfacing my almost 2 year old until he is atleast 45lbs, im hoping by then Britax will come out with a higher rearfacing seat though. My son is only 23lbs, so we are good for a while. I plan to rear face until there is no longer a seat on the market to accomadate it with my son. Honestly, If I had to put an age on it, I wouldnt do it before age 3.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 10:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• What will you do if your HSer is still too light to move from his/er car seat, per your state's guidelines? Will you force them to continue to sit in a safety seat? If not, why if the total focus is safety? Some of us are petite and have tiny, thin children, who stay that way beyond the "Toddler" years. My brother, a veteran firefighter and paramedic has an 11 y.o.son who weighs 60 lbs. She will be in the 6th grade in the Fall. He is not in a safety seat, and rides the school bus to and from school each day.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• What is your point anon? Did you not notice the NO BASHING? I asked for feedback from erf moms....not from coward anons who want to say stupid nonsense.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• So, you haven't thought beyond age 8? How is asking a simple question, to those who are so passionate about a subject, bashing? Maybe one of the other posters has an idea. I am very interested in terms of "safety". For those with no answer, feel free to skip the response as well, thanks~

Anonymous

• We are talking about EXTENDED REAR FACING. We will obviously not be rear facing 8 year olds, genius. If you have a question.....post your own question. Your question does not pertain to mine at all.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Again, Bridget, my answer was not directed at you, the mother of a wee one. There is no need to ask another question, but thanks for your kind suggestion. Have a great day.

If future studies indicate that ERF is safer for all kids, how will that affect your decisions, Bridget? Safety being the factor, correct. 25 years ago, these ideas (ERF) did not exist. 50 years ago car seats were not even used. See the pattern......

Anonymous