Kids and Chores?

At what age do you think it is okay to start requiring your children to do chores? I mean above and beyond cleaning their rooms.

What chores are appropriate at what age?

MomOfDagJag

Asked by MomOfDagJag at 2:58 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• this is a good question. I remember my mom started making me do dishes and some laundry when I was about 8 or 9 as I got older I got harder chores like mowing the lawn and such.
    Kalebs_mommy23

Answer by Kalebs_mommy23 at 3:02 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• i believe i started doing chores at 6...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Mine started doing things to help as soon as they were old enough to understand the concept OF helping...aroun 18-24 mos. old. They helped put toys away, helped put their little dishes in the sink, put their clothes in the hamper, etc.. I think you need to start young.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• My daughter starting "helping" me around the house when she was 3. Now she's 5 and she helps around a lot more like, she knows how to put her dish and glass in the dishwasher, she "makes her bed" (although I have to remake it after she goes to school lol), she has to clean up after herself likke putting away her toys etc.
    Now the new baby is here, my 5-year-old helps a lot more. She helps with the baby- washing pasifiers, helping put away baby's laundry and stuff like that. I never actually asked her but she's really helpful.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 4:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Both my kids started at 5, though even as toddlers, they were to help pick up their toys and such.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• As soon as they can. My kids have all had chores since they were 2. We didn't call them chores. They were just things they were expected to do to help out around the house. Like carry their dirty diapers to the trash, take their dirty dishes to the sink, pick up things they spilled, etc. By 3 they were helping fold laundry and putting their own clothes away, helping unload the dishwasher, etc.
    Last summer I taught my older 3 kids to do laundry. They were 6, 7 and 9. They no longer do it themselves every weekend (it was more to teach them that clean clothes don't magically appear in their drawers) but they are required to fold and put their own stuff away even if I wash it. They are 7 1/2, 8 1/2 and about to turn 10 and responsible for cleaning up any messes they made in any room that includes scrubbing tables/counters, sweeping/mopping, picking up toys/clothes, etc. The 4yo does just about all that, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I would say the earlier the better....age appropriate chores of course. It's like any other thing...they have to get in the habit of doing it early if you want them to do it later on :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• http://www.familyroi.org/Family_ROI_Age_Appropriate_Chores.pdf
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 9:41 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I save real chores for punishment, lol, seriously when my teenagers do something that require consequences I give them a long list of everything I want done and there will be no tv or cell phones..grounding doesn't do anything but cleaning and organizing the house does wonders :)

I have always taught them to take care of their own things, their own laundry, rinsing dishes is a must, crusty dishes makes me gag, lol, pick up after themselves that kind of thing. I am a sahm so if they have to do everything then there is nothing left for me to do. We live under 800 sq. ft. so there is not alot to clean
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• besides the room cleaning my 6.5 year old just started to put the dishes away(from the dish washer) he also can put his clothes away after I get the folded. He does like to help put clothes in the washer and take them out(it is a front loader) but they are not consistant
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:32 PM on Jun. 3, 2010