Moms that have/had babies in a hot climate...

I used to live in Florida, so I know how hot it can get. My family and I are moving back to Central Florida. I have a 3 month old and I don't really know much about having a baby in such a hot climate. Any tips or things I need to remember? I don't know if it makes a difference, but he'll be 4 months when we move.

acurran88

Asked by acurran88 at 6:15 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• small cool clothes shade, hats, ac
    My son was born in FLA. He wore thos small little sleeveless creepers all summer. I kept him in the shade as much as possible outside to keep from sun burn. We stayed in the ac mostly. No wrappping him in blankies.
    :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:22 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Well, I live in GA and my DD was born at the end of July and it gets hot here too! Not to mention, our air conditioner is very old and doesn't work well either. With her being an infant, I just kept light onesies on her or kept her in just her diaper to keep her cool. And we never went really anywhere during the day time (maybe at night we would go visit our friends or family, but DH worked during the day). She is almost 2 now and I guess since she was a baby and I didn't swaddle her 'cause I didn't want her to be hot, she is not a big fan of blankets now, she will kick them off her when she gets hot.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:24 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I also live in GA and it does get extremely hot here too. Both of my son's diaper rash would get bad in the summer time and also if your baby is a drooler you may want to put some vasaline under her chin. My oldest broke out with a heat rash under his chin from the heat and moisture.
    rlhall1980

Answer by rlhall1980 at 6:59 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• yup what they said. My dd's a year so little easier to give her some water. Make sure both you & him stay well hydrated. Use sunscreen & avoid doing outdoor things during the heat of the day-take him to the playground in the early am or late in the day. Be careful of the playground equipment-a little girl here got 2nd degree burns from a plastic slide.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:10 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I live in South FL, I just recommend alot of onesies, I dont really put them in anything else during the summer. Maybe also a hat that will cover his/her face.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 7:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Onesies, shade and forget about socks and shoes lol. I feel ya with the climate change. I thought about this a while ago when we were thinking about moving up north. IDK how people function with young kids in the winter and 80 layers of clothes lol.

I live in ST Pete and this past winter was BRUTAL, so aside from the summer and fall just remember that it can get pretty cold down here, especially when you acclimate. Good luck!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 8:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2010