Am I right to think this is a scam?

I've been looking for a job on Craigslist. I recieved an email saying they're interested in me but I need to send them my credit report. I deleted it immediatly thinking its probably a scam. I just want to make sure that I was probably doing the right thing. I was thinking that they probably would intetrview me face to face first before them running my credit. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes it's a scam to get your information. CL isn't the best place in the world to be looking for jobs for that exact reason. Anyone can put up a listing and ask for all kinds of information. I don't know anyone who's gotten a legitimate job through CL. Be careful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I agree with anon!

Answer by older at 8:24 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yeah, it's a scam.. A company will run your credit report if they do a check on your credit. You don't have to supply them with it. You will have to sign a release tho.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I think you are right that sounds like a scam to me. When I started working from home my first rule was to never give my card number or any information out like that. You shouldn't need to give them anything like that and if you did need to it wouldn't be until you started. Good Luck I hope you find something!
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 8:27 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Totally a scam! Good for you for sniffing it out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Good job for figuring it out! I hope you find something.
    justkima

Answer by justkima at 8:31 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• My hubby found his job on CL. There was a number listed and he called the number then went in for an interview. He did not send any personal info to them.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 8:36 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Yes, I have responded to other ads on Craigslist, such as home and apartment ads, never fails they come back with this email about having to fill out a credit report before they send me my application. I've come to know this ad really well and I see it daily. Every time I do, I flag it. Here is he ad for all those that see anything similar, it's always the same:

"Fantastic 2 bedroom. Really quiet location with nice neighbors. Water is covered by the rent. Gas stove and heat everything else is electric power. Parking lot is big enough for many spaces. Maintenance on site all day and night in order to repair anything that comes up."

It always has a clause about the maintenance being there all day and night, even on the houses.   That's too funny. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Common scam, you did the right thing.

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 9:15 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Usually if a company wants a credit report/check, THEY do it, and THEY pay for it.

Sorry! :(
    JandAsMommy

Answer by JandAsMommy at 9:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2010