exercise and BF

May I start exercising without damaging my milk quality, I dont want to put toxins on my child's milk or dry out my supply, but I feel I need to get back to exercise, my baby is 6 months old.

blessingAH

Asked by blessingAH at 8:39 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It shouldn't be a problem. It only takes an additional 500 calories to nurse. Just make sure that you are taking in enough fluids to replenish your body.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:43 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I am pretty sure the whole exercising and breastfeeding thing is a myth. I have been exercising at least 20 minutes a day 5 times a week since my baby was 6 weeks old (she is now 8 months). I always try to breastfeed before I exercise and not breastfeed for around half hour after exercising. I don't even think it would matter if I did though.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:45 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I started running again when my son was 4 weeks old. By the time he was 2 months old I was back to running 6 miles a day. As long as you take in enough calories its not an issue. My dr. told me it wouldn't be a problem at all. I nursed him before I went for a run in the morning and then again (after showering of course) when we woke up usually 2 hours later.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I will also add that I successfully breastfed both boys while exercising like this for 13/14 months. It never affected my milk supply and I never supplemented with formula.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 9:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I exercised 5-6 times a week, average 45 minutes at high intensity, with DD. No problems at all! You do have to eat and drink extra of course (especially drink). I was told a good way to tell you are doing OK is to keep your weight loss (if any) to about 1-2 pounds a week. If you are losing a ton of weight, you might not have the ideal nutrients or liquids you need for both you and the baby (you will still be fine, I'm sure, but that's a good way to check if you may be overdoing it)
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• You should do just fine as long as you don't over do it and get dehydrated. Regular moderate exercise is fine!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Absolutely you can. No reason not to.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:20 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• your milk is very well established at 6 months so you shouldn't have any problems with supply at this point as long as you don't start off super intense and you keep hydrated and don't cut too many calories.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Thank you girls!!! I am starting today!!! Cant wait!!!
    blessingAH

Answer by blessingAH at 8:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2010