What do you think of kiddy beauty pageants?

Personally, I think it's kind of creepy. I have a 5-year-old and she's been begging me to enter her for months. I gave in thinking this is NOT going to be a habbit. So that pageants is being held this weekend and my daughter will have to have her hair done, put make-up on and, get this, she's going to get a spray-on tan!! Am I wrong for wanting to pull her out of it? I mean, she's just 5!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Those are sick

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:16 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• They send the wrong message to young impressionable girls and I think they are emotionally abusive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Totally against them. I think it is a ploy to force little girls to grow up way too soon!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:28 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I find them completely repugnant with no value. Any of the positives that can be achieved are far outweighed by the negatives and can be found in other activities that don't physically objectify young children. I truly question parents who make a lifestyle out of it for their poor children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I wouldn't let my girl do it. I think it's creepy and there's no reason putting a child through this. Why get a tan? Any mom thinks her child is naturally beautiful and so do I. My daughter is beautiful without any makeup and she should learn that winning because of your LOOKS is NOT what life is about.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 9:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I was watching Toddlers and Tiaras the other day and there was a mom who said to her daughter "I want you to win because you're the best. And I want to see the Miss America crown on your head one day". Guess what that little girl's life is going to be all about..
    I have a child, not a showdog.
    pipermomofash

Answer by pipermomofash at 9:32 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• are there any pageants where the kids are not made up
    i mean like real kids not dolls, not adult models or worse

kids are cute because they are kids
    why make kids up to be something they are not

against the pageants the way they are
    would be ok with a pageant that did not allow makeup, spray tan, stupid silly dresses etc
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:36 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• They're disgusting. They're parade shows for pedophiles, and to make it worse you're teaching your child a horrible lesson. That you need to dress to the nines, with caked on make up, and be judged by the world. Although most pagents anymore have a "Go Natural or Go Home" rule in place now. Because of the JonBenét Ramsey. Regardless if it's natural or caked makeup I think they're disgusting. I am not too fond of the teen and adult pagents either, but at least they're old enough to wear makeup, hairspray, and spray on tans.

I think that by allowing your daughter to do this, since she's soo dead set on it, will make her want to do it more. I'd never personally do it, but since you've made that choice you have to decide if she stays. I don't think you're wrong to want to pull her out. It's a digusting display of children acting like adults.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:44 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I think the mothers who enter their daughter to beauty pageants are seriously disturbed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I think they're horrible. For one thing, I don't get the fascination will little girls looking like grown women. Secondly, I think it teaches children that beauty should be a competition, and especially for young girls, that is horrible. There is already enough pressure these days on girls...they don't need to literally compete to add to it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:53 AM on Jun. 3, 2010