Need more info on immunizations

HI everyone,
I am a first time mommy and have some concerns about all the immunizations they give kids now a days. I know that I am not going to allow all of them, but need to find out more information on each vaccine. I know that it is not good to have certain vaccines mixed together and they should be given as seperate shots instead, but i just don't see how it's necessary to give a 1 day old baby the hep B shot. Anyone know where I can get more info? I don't want to talk to the pediatrition because they are just going to tell me that they are all safe and very important. I don't know about all of you but it seems like we were healthier as kids than kids today. We got the chicken pox and were fine we didn't need all these different vaccines and there was a lot less childhood illnesses when we were young. You hear about autism and ADHD so much more ofen now. Call me paranoid but this is how I feel, any advise is appreciated

vboyde

Asked by vboyde at 9:33 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used this: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/226999/the_dtap_vaccine_what_the_manufacturers.html?cat=71

And this from the CDC   http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/polio.pdf

You really have to dig for info at the CDC and put things into perspective.   It used to be that you could find the info above easily but now they are buried!     For instance, chicken pox was never worded as being dangerous, but now it is.    I now the CDC seems like an odd place to go, but if you know what to look for you can get the real picture and make an informed choice.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Another important note is that some vaccinations are given in a series, not because you need to but because there is a percentage of people for which the first or second dose doesn't work, so they try to catch those people. They do that by revaccinating everyone. For example, if you wanted to do MMR (they won't separate them into separate doses for children) apparantly one dose is sufficient especially if given at age 4 or 5. Blood titres can be drawn to test for immunity after the vaccination (or even before vaccination as sometimes immunity comes by naturally without anyone realizing it).

My baby didn't have a vaccination until 6 months (I was hoping she'd be at least 20lbs but wasn't) and we did the DTaP because we visit family on a farm and tetanus would be the concern. But if I recall can't just get tetanus for that age.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:14 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I also followed Dr. Sears reccommendation not to give medication prior to the shots as it can interfere with vaccination effectiveness (and in my opinion can mask a reaction). Instead several days prior to the vaccination (and remember we only did the DTaP) doses of infant vitamin A were given and the day of and several days after the shot doses of infant vitamin C to boost immunity. DTaP is notorious for swelling at the injection because of the pertussis part, but we had no swelling and only a mild elevated fever (one degree) and a long nap.   http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/boost_your_childs_immune_system.asp  (scroll down to the paragraph after the heading "Why Dr Sears recommends juiceplus")

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:20 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I highly recommend The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears. Here is a link to an article he wrote that has a lot of info from his book: Childhood Vaccines Making an Educated Decision for Your Children Robert Sears, MD, FAAP

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2010