Concerns about vaccines

HI everyone,
I am a first time mommy and have some concerns about all the immunizations they give kids now a days. I know that I am not going to allow all of them, but need to find out more information on each vaccine. I know that it is not good to have certain vaccines mixed together and they should be given as seperate shots instead, but i just don't see how it's necessary to give a 1 day old baby the hep B shot. Anyone know where I can get more info? I don't want to talk to the pediatrition because they are just going to tell me that they are all safe and very important. I don't know about all of you but it seems like we were healthier as kids than kids today. We got the chicken pox and were fine we didn't need all these different vaccines and there was a lot less childhood illnesses when we were young. You hear about autism and ADHD so much more ofen now. Call me paranoid but this is how I feel, any advise is appreciated

vboyde

Asked by vboyde at 9:34 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Health

• I don't want to talk to the pediatrition because they are just going to tell me that they are all safe
    ........................TRUE

i was "paranoid, told ped about concerns/worries, told exactly what you said and..."they are all safe"
    my daughter had reaction to one set of shots, needed steriod cream, leg got red, swollen and hard
    after those shots her language skills she had, she lost, etc etc etc
    year and a half later......being tested for autism

wish to GOD i would have listened to my instincts instead of her doctor

you are completely on the right track, YOU ARE NOT PARANOID
    excellent job mom!
    research and NO HURRY FOR ALL SHOTS AT ONCE
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:42 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• There has actually not been any documented scientific studies shown that vaccines cause autism. Thimerasol , a mercury-based preservative was used in some vaccines until 2001, and was believed to possibly cause autism, but that is NO LONGER used in vaccines. Almost any medical professional will tell you that vaccines have done a lot in helping prevent disease, and that it's the safest way. Take it from the people who are truly educated on the subject. It's your choice, but I'd rather give my child the vaccines than lose him to an outbreak of a disease (which is very possible). It's great that you're putting so much thought into it, but that's just my opinion on the subject. I weighed the pros and cons and found it way better to protect my child with the vaccines.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Even Generation Rescue, a group who strongly believes that vaccines cause autism doesn't recommend avoiding vaccines completely, but advises that you use an alternative vaccines schedule.The reason for this is the belief that having too many at once is too hard on a child's immune system. There may be some legitimacy to that.However, current research doesn't show that this is beneficial, but it does show that a child's risk for disease goes up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• People worry about autism and immunizations and there has been a lot of research. The concern is with the MMR immunization. There just isn't scientific evidence to support the claim that the MMR immunization is the cause of autism or the cause of the increase of the diagnosis of autism. The symptoms of autism just happen to occur at the same age as the MMR immunization is given.

I think the main reason to be concerned is that immunizations are causing the immune system to work in ways that it's not designed to work. We don't know the long term consequences.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:52 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:55 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• We give babies way too many immunizations for things they don't need. Immunizations are considered for the benefit of public health but they may not be for the benefit of individual health. My grandbaby is 20 mo and all he has had is a td, the tetanus shot they give adults without the p. He had that after 12 mo. Tetanus lives in soil or on objects for decades and is a serious disease that still has a high death rate.

Mothering Magazine is a good source of info and they may have old articles online. They have good discussion boards and there are people that are well educated, not just people afraid. The web site is http://www.mothering.com/

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:01 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Dr. Sears uses a modified immunization schedule. He still buys into the public health model of immunization.

If you aren't going to immunize your children then you should protect them by not putting them in day care centers and not sending them to school. A generation ago the people that weren't immunizing were the people that were home schooling so that wasn't a problem.

Now more people aren't immunizing but many don't realize if you don't immunize you have a responsibility to protect your child. You don't go to other countries. You don't go to the ER when there is a measles outbreak in your community. You could be sitting in the waiting area for hours next to someone with measles.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:10 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• There were less illnesses back then because people got vaccinated. Diseases that were all but gone have come back thanks to non vaccinating people. Vaccines do not cause Autism or ADHD. It's been proven. The man who said it did was paid to say that, he was the star witness in a trial brought by parents who blamed vaccines for what genetics did to their children. In the more than a decade since that lie was published, no scientist has been able to reproduce those results. You should be very careful in what you decide your baby doesn't need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• www.nvic.org is a good website
    www.vaclib.org is not bad either
    www.cdc.gov has a lot of information too.
    fyi...the mmr can not be split up any longer.
    i see no reason for the hep b vaccine for a newborn either...it is not like they are having unprotected sex, or sharing dirty needles!
    good luck with your research and your upcoming decisions!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:08 PM on Jun. 3, 2010