Why should we NOT do away with Don't Ask, Don't tell?

I don't understand what sexuality has to do with the armed forces.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't have a feeling on DADT either way. I think it should be up to the people in charge on the battlefield. I am no expert when it comes to combat and morale, or how / if something like this would effect our troops on the battlefield.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:53 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I'm with Quinn. I have no problem doing away with it, but it's not my call.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:05 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• We do need to do away with it, and sooner is better than later, but you cannot ignore the problems it will bring. We need to just get the problems over with - all those closet homophobes who talk a good game about how they support rights but gag if they see two guys holding hands. Those are the people who will be taking steps behind the scenes to try and get openly gay military in trouble and/or fired without outwardly gay bashing. The open homophobes aren't an issue, we just tell them to shut the hell up, but the sneaky ones, that will always give slightly lower performance reviews, just enough to stop promotions, or that will subtly provoke fights that cannot be clearly blamed on them - they are going to wreak havoc. And what happens when the CO favors the shit stirrer and not the victim?
    They need to get rid of it, but they have to do it right, with contingencies and severe consequences in place FIRST, then kill it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:15 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• How do the Military men and women feel about it? THEY are the ones who should answer this question. I have no opinion,.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• How do the Military men and women feel about it?

How is that relevant? Should it be left up to your co-workers whether or not you should be allowed to keep your job based on your hair color or religion or how tall you are?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:21 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• They need to get rid of it, but they have to do it right, with contingencies and severe consequences in place FIRST, then kill it.

This^
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:19 PM on Jun. 3, 2010

• I have to agree with NP. What they feel has NOTHING to do with it.

Anyone remember that the armed forces were segregated until Truman ended it via executive order in 1948? He disregarded what those on the battlefield thought, because it was immaterial.

This is NO DIFFERENT.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:39 PM on Jun. 3, 2010