Can anyone give me UNIQUE discipline ideas...

I don't want to spank my kids anymore, it doesn't seem to be getting us anywhere, timeouts aren't working, ect... ect... ect... When I ask for unique here is an example I found...
I found online if your child is running through the house and you have asked more than one to stop make him walk on his hands and feet like a crab he wont be able to get there in such a hurry (he will slow down), he will learn to walk like he is suppose to...
Do you have any other UNIQUE, effective methods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Once my daughter was "forgetting" to brush her teeth, so one whole day I made her do it every 30 minutes. She even had to leave the table during dinner to go brush her teeth.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• For time out I make my kids hold their arms out, horizontally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Sit down or the bunny gets it!!!(South Park lol!) That arms out thing is mean!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Make them stand at a low table and give them a small cup and a piece of construction paper. Have them stand there and tear the paper over and over until it is in tiny pieces in the cup. It not only diffuses and distracts, but, it develops their fine motor skills.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:13 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Excellent idea!

Kids are being bad in the car. Pull over and sit quietly. When they get quiet, start driving again. No mini-lecture. They will learn that the car doesn't go if they are being bad.

Older kid being bad in the car close to home. Make them get oul and walk. My oldest son only had to do it once. The others learned from that experience. Mom WILL kick us out of the car and make us walk!

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:18 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Thats a "punishment" my son would love bradenismyson. He loves to tear up paper.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:20 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• In that case, you make him keep doing it until it is no longer fun. After while of doing it repeatedly, he WILL grow to hate it. I have seen it used in the daycare/preschool I worked at. Kids loved it the first time, but, about the 10th time in a row of doing it, they got so sick of it that even the mention of it made them act right. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:22 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• First, then.

The child wants to do something like go to a friends. "First do the dishes, then I will take you to your friend's house." It's not a choice, do you want to go to your friend's house bad enough to do the dishes? The thing the child would be asked to do would be something they were supposed to do anyway or something that really needed to be done and the child could realize that. If they grow up with first, then they are used to it.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:25 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Holding arms out horizontally while in time out is so cruel! Are you making them stay 1 minute per year of age like that too? I can't imagine having my 3 yr old or 5 year old stand there with their arms out to the side for 3 or 5 minutes. That is absolutely horrible!
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 10:29 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Discipline does not mean only punishment. Discipline it also means instruction, training, teaching self-control, order, or a system of conduct. You can discipline your children and never use punishment.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:31 AM on Jun. 3, 2010