If a dog attacks do you know how to react?

My husband's friend's dog was just attacked by a dog whose owner had him off the leash and took off. The injured dog had to be put to sleep because the surgery was $5000.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2010 in Health

• Best thing if you are near a hose or water source is to squirt them, hopefully the attacker will retreat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• How sad.

There is a rottweiler that lives next door and they keep him outside all the time and expect him to be a guard dog. It kind of irritates the people that the dog liked us right away when we moved in last fall and the dog hasn't had any problems our dogs or cats. He poked a hole in our wood dog run fence so he could look in. Lonely guy.

I got a 3 pound chihuahua that has squeezed into his yard twice. The rotti corners him and waits for us to call him to come out. It scares me because he could eat my little dog in one bite. I have all the escape holes fixed now.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:45 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• We live in Tucson and there are way too many pit bulls. They are the most common breed in the animal shelters. There are days when you can get your pit bull spayed or nuetered for free. If you live in certain neighborhoods (lower income) you can get any dog (or cat) spayed or neutered for free.

Why can't we only have nice dogs? When you think about it there are fewer cases of dogs killing other dogs or people then there are of people killing dogs or other people.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:49 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• i was ALMOST attacked my our own dog ! actually it was my brother's. this was a couple of years ago when i was 18 and my brother was 15. he had a rottweiler. my brother and i were goofing around in our garage playing basketball and shoving and pushing each other playfully. our dog though i was hitting my brother or something. he started barking at me like crazy telling me to move away from him. ofcourse i got scared and jumped back while my brother calmed him down that nothing was wrong and we were just playing. although he was a very friendly dog but then he started hating me !! lol. he used to growl at me whenever he saw me after that. he was fine with the rest of the family though(especially my younger sister who was 8 at that time). then one i was getting out of our car and he was standing on our front lawn playing with my bro.i looked at him & realized he was about to attack me(i just got the feeling),continued **
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 10:51 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• and like a dumb@$$ instead of getting back in the car i ran to the front door of our house. my brother yelled at him and threw his flip flop at him making him stop just inches from me !!!
    my brother loved him. but my parents decided it was too dangerous to have him around anymore. so instead of putting him to sleep my brother gave him to his friend. but the poor dog was so heartbroken (even though my brother used to visit him regularly) that he died !! just like that !! the vet said he found nothing wrong with him.
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 3, 2010

• Gailll, my husband is a mail carrier and he's never had issues with Pits or Rotts. Howevere, 6 years ago 2 St. Bermards pushed out of their house when he came by to deliver the mail and they attacked him. One dog grabbed one leg and the other grabbed his other leg. In his attempt to get away my husband blew 2 discs in his back and had to have back surgery. These dogs came out of nowhere and attacked. You can't judge breeds. cute little dogs tend to be the most vicious, btw. I would never own a Daschaund, EVER.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 3, 2010